Bind Named 9.3.2

Do you have a step by step instruction on how to update bind on centos 3? Thanks

Because of the way CentOS/RHEL is managed I strongly recommend you leave it to the yum system to manage CentOS updates.

You do run yum every night in cron.daily, don't you?

Jeff

jlasman said:
Because of the way CentOS/RHEL is managed I strongly recommend you leave it to the yum system to manage CentOS updates.

Jeff

is that really a good idea? I've been burned more times than I can count doing that. You have multiple potential incompatabilities, dependency issues, etc. Example:

FC3 - RPM Package Manager update. I don't recall the version but by running that update, up2date completely broke and you had to manually roll-back. Now for you and I, not that big of a deal but for a lot of CP users, not a fun process having to go find the correct RPM, uninstall the old one and install the new one.

There were a few iffy Apache backports in the past as well.

ediit: this would be bad for me (as an example)
Code:
=============================================================================
 Package                 Arch       Version          Repository        Size
Updating:
 cups-libs               i386       1:1.1.22-0.rc1.9.9  updates           105 k
 curl                    i386       7.12.1-8.rhel4   updates           231 k
 curl-devel              i386       7.12.1-8.rhel4   updates           246 k
 libtool                 i386       1.5.6-4.EL4.1.c4  updates           634 k
 libtool-libs            i386       1.5.6-4.EL4.1.c4  updates            23 k
 perl                    i386       3:5.8.5-24.RHEL4  updates            11 M
 udev                    i386       039-10.10.EL4.3  updates           830 k
Installing for dependencies:
 openssl-devel           i586       0.9.7a-43.4      updates           1.6 M

Transaction Summary
Install      1 Package(s)
Update       7 Package(s)
Remove       0 Package(s)
Total download size: 15 M
Is this ok [y/N]:

I'm running OpenSSL 0.9.7i, cURL 7.15.1 and a later version of PERL (too lazy to look it up). So for me to run yum means I'm downgrading and backporting, not really bad but not an optimal solution. Not picking a fight, just saying running YUM as a cron isn't a "great" idea across the board.

Last edited:
CiscoMike,

To each his/her own.

We manage a lot of machines using yum updates, but as GXX mentioned, we exclude a lot of programs from automatic update.

In fact we exclude a lot of RPM installs when we build the server, which means they never get into the yum update table.

Jeff

how to will update my BIND? i don't know BIND update. can you to discribe me please ?

centos 4.4 update with BIND has screwd my box...now typing:
root@ecsportal named # service named start
root@ecsportal named #

nothing....no failed or anything.

Directory structure is off. Nothing in /var/log/messages...Having to start named manually.

I have bind chroot'd do I need to re-do the chroot after I upgrade?

Thanks,
Dustin

heh...well I am not sure but named actually reset permissions on EVERYTHING on the box when the update happened.

It seems every service that was running ended up with named:named as the owner. This killed us for 2 hours =/ Tried searching the bind site...noone really mentioning this.

jlasman said:

Jeff

If you let yum update named there is no chance of the new install overwriting the named.conf file?

Jon

jjma said:
If you let yum update named there is no chance of the new install overwriting the named.conf file?

Jon
Yum installs RPM's which checks for the file before overwriting, so you "should" be fine.

Back