mailbox quota

nobaloney

NoBaloney Internet Svcs - In Memoriam †
Can I set individual mailbox quotas, or must I give everyone at a domain the same email quota?

Thanks.

Jeff

There is currently no feature to set quotas for user mailboxes. DirectAdmin logs mail activity and adds it to the user's total usage.

Mark

So a mailbox can grow to any size?

I hope you'll consider the ramifications of "leave mail on server" and consider adding quotas at some point in the future.

Thanks.

Jeff

Please remember that a user is limited to the disk space assigned by the Reseller, so it doesn't matter if 50 meg is used up through FTP uploads or by leaving messages on the server.

Yes, mailboxes can grow like you said, but DirectAdmin will notify the reseller _before_ the disk space limit is fully used up. At the moment, the biggest ramifications come from Resellers who ignore DirectAdmin's monitoring. :)

I know what you are saying about limited e-mail quotas, and a better system will be out eventually.

Mark

Thanks, Mark.

The way Cobalt RaQs do it is with group quotas for the site, and with user quotas for the individual mailboxes.

Plesk systems don't implement linux-based quotas, but spider the directories every night and send a report if any site is close to or over quota.

Jeff

So, does that mean that the displayed quota in the webmail isn't actaully a hard limit?

Otherwise i've got a problem, since the 2Mb it has defaulted
to certainly isn't enough.

Keven.

Hi Keven,

To change the webmail quota edit (as root):

/var/www/html/webmail/inc/config.php

You can change the 2 meg limit to whatever you want. If you don't have root, just ask your host to do this for you. All new installs of DA default to a higher amount so others won't have that problem.

Mark

Mark,

What's the new default?

(I know I could go in and look but I think the response should be in the forum archives :) .)

Thanks.

Jeff

so, default mail box size is 10 mb?

Resellers can't chang that unless they have root access?

No, it's a system-policy change.

We just updated it 20 megabytes for our clients; we advertise "20 megabyte" mailboxes.

Fwiw, I also noticed that you have to make a change in the config.php file for the timezone you're using; the php doesn't pick it up from the server. Then your user has to make a change in preferences to his time zone. Or the dates/times on the outgoing emails won't be right.

Jeff

Last edited:
Hello,

Correct, you require root accsess to change the webmail quotas.

Just to clarify, the 10 megabyte email quotas that we are referring to are with the webmail quotas, they are completely sepearate from the actual email accounts. The webmail program downloads the email from the server via pop (which happens to be the same server) and saves it to disk. This disk space is what is limited. Actual email quotas setup for a pop account on the system through DA don't exist.

John

DirectAdmin Support said:
Hello,

Correct, you require root accsess to change the webmail quotas.

Just to clarify, the 10 megabyte email quotas that we are referring to are with the webmail quotas, they are completely sepearate from the actual email accounts. The webmail program downloads the email from the server via pop (which happens to be the same server) and saves it to disk. This disk space is what is limited. Actual email quotas setup for a pop account on the system through DA don't exist.

John

oh? and why is it when i send an email that 12 mb it doesn't arrive, cause i get msg too large? or is that my isp that blocks large emails?

Could be your ISP.

Could you post a copy of the email you get back?

Or do you get an error while trying to send? If so, please post the exact words of the error.

I'll be happy to help figure it out for you.

Jeff

Where can you see how large the mailbox is atm? Is there such a feature yet?

[edit]
I'm talking about the actual pop3 address, so not the webmail temp box.

If you're the site owner, your mailbox will be at:

/var/spool/mail/<username>

unless your email is being redirected somewhere else.

If you just get email at <name>@example.com, then your mailbox will be at:

/var/spool/virtual/example.com/<name>

If you're the site owner and if you have ssh rights into the server, you should be able to see the size of the mailbox by typing

ls -alh /var/spool/virtual/example.com/<name>

at the ssh commandline prompt.

Similarly, you should be able to see the size of your own mailbox by typing

ls -alh /var/spool/mail/username

However you MUST have ssh access to do this.

Jeff

Well, then this might be a nice small feature to include in the e-mail menu. Next to "download settings" there might be a number showing the size of the mailbox...

jlasman said:
Could be your ISP.

Could you post a copy of the email you get back?

Or do you get an error while trying to send? If so, please post the exact words of the error.

I'll be happy to help figure it out for you.

Jeff

never mind, its my isp, just tried 3x5mb emails, that worked fine

any progress on email quota?

is anything happening with per email-user quota?

and a little unrelated, anything about email users being able to change their own password?

Hello,

We havn't looked at email quotas yet, however we did add a feature in the last release that shows users how much disk space their email accounts are using up. As for the password change for email accounts, that willl be added (mentioned in another thread) but we don't have an eta as of yet, just too many other things at the momment.

John

Back