Is Everything OK At Direct Admin?

jnelson

Verified User
The phone line to Direct Admin does not work, and I have not received any replies to numerous emails to support.

Is there some MAJOR problem at Direct Admin?

Anybody else having this problem?

Jim Nelson
702-355-5500
[email protected]

Not seen any staff on the forum today, although not been here much today! also, i have no idea what time it is in canada now...

Its about 3:30 MST pm so somebody should be there, but the phone does not even ring, it just goes to a fast busy signal.

For several days I have emailed support and have not had so much as an acknowledgement.

I have some major problems:

1 Mail stuck in outbound queue
2. Random lockups
3. Mail for the default user being bounced.

These all seem to have started in the last week or so. We have replaced all the memory in the machine and it was stable before.

We get a kernel panic and DMA errors. Is there a memory leak in the latest revision?

Most disturbing is the lack of communication from Direct Admin.

Jim Nelson
[email protected]
702-355-5500

jnelson said:
Its about 3:30 MST pm so somebody should be there, but the phone does not even ring, it just goes to a fast busy signal.

As I remember John has said they were thinking of killing the phone support because so many people would just call for petty issues and stuff their server administrators should take care of...

Basically the entire machine locks up. Since it is in a colocation facility and I need to run fsck when it does this, and only sometimes does it have anything on the screen, all I have been able to see ar DMA and kernel panic.

It seems to be running ok with a 0 load and the next thing I know it is locked up tighter than a drum.

Now we are having funky email problems (posted in another forum)
but the most disturbing is no response from Direct Admin.

Jim Nelson

Version 1.2

What OS..

And is there a /var/log/kernel log?

And what does your system administrator say about this?

Are you certain this is related to DA also, this seems to be the first I have heared of any memory leaks? surely if that was the case many other users would also have the problem...

Chris

Red Hat Linux version 2.4.20-20.9smp

No separate kernel log but I have looked through the logs and they appear normal until lockup.

system admin? Sorry one man company. I am everything.

Jim

No I am not certain that this is DA related, however it seems to have begun within the 10 days and there have been some updates during this time.

Again, where are the Direct Admin folks?

It says on their website that emails will be responed to within about 45 min, but NOTHING for days.

Is anybody else finding this?

Jim Nelson

Hi Jim/everyone,

Is it possible your e-mails aren't getting through? We do see and reply to all e-mails, and 45 mins (or less) is standard except sometimes first thing in the morning. The forum is usually checked once or twice daily -- it is good for quick support from others but we can't promise rapid responses on here.

On a related note, the phone line is still "unplugged" due to it consuming about 5-6 hours per *day* of our time. The vast majority of calls had little to do with DA and people were extremely demanding. If we started answering the phone again you should expect the forum to be checked bi-weekly and e-mails to be returned in *maybe* 3-4 days. :eek:

Here are some interesting calls. If any of our customers recognize these I don't mean to insult you, but we do find this unreasonable:

1. Demanding we sit on the phone while you reformat and reinstall linux.

2. Demanding we teach you linux in 2 hours, because you are interested in our product and *might* consider buying it.

3. Expecting live programming.

"Can you guys make X feature?"
"Yes, we can probably have it out by next release."
"Ok, I'll hold."

4. Demanding that we perform sysadmin tasks.

5. Guiding you through hardware installs.

6. So much more.. :)

And Jim, CC: your requests to [email protected] just to be safe.

Mark

I think it was a bit mean to use 6 examples of my telephone calls !!!!!! :D ;) :D :rolleyes: ;) :D :( :rolleyes: :cool: :eek:

DirectAdmin Sales said:
1. Demanding we sit on the phone while you reformat and reinstall linux.
Tell them there is a "hold charge" of $25/hr
2. Demanding we teach you linux in 2 hours, because you are interested in our product and *might* consider buying it.
Offer to give them the link to "Linux for Dummies" at Amazon.com (that's where I got mine :D )
3. Expecting live programming.

"Can you guys make X feature?"
"Yes, we can probably have it out by next release."
"Ok, I'll hold."
Tell them they are just too STUPID to be able to handle DA and they should instead try cPanel where they would be amongst others like them!

Too harsh? ok... tell them your "instant update" magic wand is at the cleaners so they will have to wait :D
4. Demanding that we perform sysadmin tasks.
I NEVER DEMANDED! ;)
5. Guiding you through hardware installs.
Hardware install support is $100/hr and handled by the "JBMC Hardware" department of the company ;)

Back