Mail Stuck in outboud queue

jnelson

Verified User
I have outbound messages that appear to be stuck.

Direct Admin's phone lines appear to be down.

I have emailed support for several days with no response whatsoever.

Does anybody know what is going on?

Jim Nelson
702-355-5500

Version is 4.20 of Exim
Version of Direct Admin 1.2

14 hours in que

Jim

jnelson said:
Version is 4.20 of Exim
Version of Direct Admin 1.2

14 hours in que

Jim

From default exim.conf:

# This option cancels (removes) frozen messages that are older than a week.

timeout_frozen_after = 7d

If you want to force exim to try and send the message, just get the message ID, and run:

exim -M ID

example:
Code:
exim -M 1AMSrF-00010Z-2U

Then check the end of the mainlog:

tail /var/log/exim/mainlog

Exim should say why the message wasn't sent, or else it will say "Complete" in which case the message got through.

John

i have quite some undelivered email in exim's /input folder, some even older then 7 days, can i safely clean out this folder every now and then?

all these emails are undeliverable to external domains

Even since got DA had on and off problems with long delayed mail deliveries, anywhere from a few hrs to a few DAYS before they get delivered.

Anyone know why this happens?

P.S. We are NOT talking about a lot of mail, roughly about 1000 day (mostly spams I get) I would estimate.

The problem wouldn't be with DA; it might be with your exim.conf file; exim is the MTA used by DA.

You'll have to come up with a specific example, with headers on the (finally received) email and log excerpts to match, before you get any specific help.

If it is your exim.conf file you might want to use my SpamBlocker exim.conf file; it has no such problems, and the SpamBlocker functionality is turned off by default.

Jeff

i got this from another forum:

Code:
ls /var/spool/exim/input | cut -c1-16 | xargs exim -Mrm

don't know if it worx, haven't tried it, can anyone confirm if it worx? I don't have that much in my queue

The command "ls /var/spool/exim/input | cut -c1-16 | xargs exim -Mrm" did not work:

Message 1BkZY9-0003Al-5k has been removed or did not exist Spool data file for 1BkZY9-0003Al-5k does not exist Continuing, to ensure all files removed Spool read error for 1BkZY9-0003Al-5k-H: No such file or directory Continuing to ensure all files removed Message 1BkZY9-0003Al-5k has been removed or did not exist Spool data file for 1BkZYi-0003BX-KJ does not exist Continuing, to ensure all files removed Spool read error for 1BkZYi-0003BX-KJ-H: No such file or directory Continuing to ensure all files removed Message 1BkZYi-0003BX-KJ has been removed or did not exist Spool data file for 1BkZYi-0003BX-KJ does not exist Continuing, to ensure all files removed Spool read error for 1BkZYi-0003BX-KJ-H: No such file or directory Continuing to ensure all files removed Message 1BkZYi-0003BX-KJ has been removed or did not exist

apply it in the right dir, exim queue

when you ls that dir, you'll see its emtpy

ive got incomming mail getting stuck in the queue, i can go retry it from the DA mail queue admin panel, then it's sent to the recipient on the DA server...

the log in the mail admin panel on DA says this for a test email sent from hotmail to my directadmin server, the email is just sitting in my mail queue, not frozen, just sitting there along with hundreds, maybe thousands of other emails:

2011-04-20 17:39:45 Received from [email protected] H=snt0-omc1-s7.snt999.hotmail.com [99.99.99.99] P=esmtp S=1403 [email protected] T="test to [email protected]"
2011-04-20 17:39:45 [email protected] <[email protected]> R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp defer (-53): retry time not reached for any host

Are both these lines for the same email? Some of the lines are missing but if they are, then it appears the second line is about an email that's trying to leave the server but the remove server won't accept it.

Jeff

Back