Does anyone know how to search?

jmstacey

Verified User
Does anyone know how to search?
~jlasman

Maybe it was just me but I got a kick out of that :p
But on a serious note I completely agree. Most of the answers I find are from myself searching for other people. :rolleyes:

Perhaps some guidlines made sticky in each forum containting what little rules there are and some forum etiquette.
Won't stop them, but might slow a few down.
At least then moderators could just lock the thread with a link to the rules page...

I've thought about both your suggestions. They're both more work for me.

Not less.

:(

I've thought about just deleting a lot of posts, but I won't do it; it's too unfair to those who genuinely don't know.

Jeff

I've been thinking of setting up a wiki for DirectAdmin where all the howto, FAQs and so on could be available in a more organized manner (compared to the forums).
I haven't gotten around to inquiring DirectAdmin about it. It's something that would look better hosted under their domain like wiki.directadmin.com
Since the submissions would be made by users, a team of moderators would simply need to approve them making light work.

A few tweaks to vB and you could have a box saying something like, have you searched the forums, read the wikki, help.directadmin.com etc. before actually posting a new thread. This could be done for example, for users with less than 100 posts which wouldn't hinder regular members.

A lot of support companies do this before your ticket is actually submitted.

I've thought about just deleting a lot of posts, but I won't do it; it's too unfair to those who genuinely don't know.
Doesn't get rid of the problem either.

Still (always) John and Mark's call though

Not to mention a wiki could replace site-helper.com with more up to date information.

Maybe your users are sophisticated enough to be able to use a wiki; I'm not sure about mine.

We'd still use our own copy of Site Helper to have better control of what we tell our clients.

Jeff

Oh, I wasn't thinking about the user portions, just for the admins.
At least as long as we have to keep searching for other people, why not make it easy and central for ourselves :p

It's sad isn't it?

If it's going to mean another place for me to have to read and write, than I'm afraid I'm going to ignore it, at least unless/until DA makes it their venue instead of this forum.

I have no specific feelings for one over the other, but I can't take the time to add another venue to my day.

I suppose I could either delete or close threads that are duplicates, in the wrong place, or the result of people not searching, so no one besides me will lose all the time it takes to see the duplicate posts.

But that wouldn't be fair to a small minority, so I don't do it.

:(

Jeff

I think that the DA forums are experiencing an inevitable problem that all major forums experience. I have observed the same problem with other company forums such as ModernBill. As new users enter the community, they don't realize that a lot of the common questions asked have already been answered and just need to be searched for. A lot of the basic posts are so old, they don't appear on the first page of each category, the users then think that no one has experienced their problem before. I honestly don't think that there is anything we can do to prevent this and it’s an annoyance we will need to bear with.

pop-ups saying "SEARCH YOU NINCUMPOOP" :evil:

Ok... moments over. Back to your regularly scheduled hour of... whatever it is we do here.

Jon, I know how to use tar but would you please explain the feather command?

Ii DiD srCh bT dNt fNd anNHg.

:p

Jeff

Back