Redundant Server

hosler

Verified User
Im thinking of making a redundant back up server. This server will not be in the same network at my main one, so I was whondering if I would have to purchase DA again for my backup server, or is there some special free thing for backup servers?

You would have to buy another license .

The only other option that I can think of from previous threads is setting it up in such a way that if the server did fail, the IP addresses could be quickly assigned to the backup server.

But you wouldn't be able to use DA on the backup, and it wouldn't work if it was a network issue. Not to mention, you would need to make sure your DC was willing to do it.

Oh well, I guess what ill do is just make my secondary server the place where I upload all my backups to. Ill also host named on it too so dnsreport will stop giving me that error about nameservers being on same machine. I think DirectAdmin should make it easy to setup a redundant server. If they did that then everyone would buy it.

But if DA made it easy to set up redundant servers then everyone would expect redundancy to work.

There are thousands of posts on the subject of redundant servers all over the 'net, including many of mine. And even some on these forums.

The fact is that redundancy is very hard to achieve, depends on everything working just right, requires lots of tradeoffs (do you want it to work with AOL and other ISPs? If so you're going to have to have an expensive appliance on a network somewhere you hope won't go down), and is in general quite expensive.

I'm not going to write why again; you can search these forums :) .

Jeff

Back