2 configuration questions

jep

Verified User
Hi guys,

I want to ask you 2 more things.

1: Can i change (for example) *all* email adresses from users in my reseller account and can i do the same with DNS? I have to add users today, but I'm not sure about the DNS servers yet. I guess this is possible (because you move stuff sometimes). How? :)

2. Is my directadmin my first and secundary DNS server? I want to make a second one wich is the slave, but how can i make this so my client will still understand it? I know how DNS works, but not how to implement this for 'simple' users who want to add an domain..

Thank you!

Jesper / Servicez.org Hosting

jep said:
Hi guys,

I want to ask you 2 more things.

1: Can i change (for example) *all* email adresses from users in my reseller account and can i do the same with DNS? I have to add users today, but I'm not sure about the DNS servers yet. I guess this is possible (because you move stuff sometimes). How? :)

Don't understand what your asking unfortunately, could you explain in more detail what you are trying to do?

jep said:
2. Is my directadmin my first and secundary DNS server? I want to make a second one wich is the slave, but how can i make this so my client will still understand it? I know how DNS works, but not how to implement this for 'simple' users who want to add an domain..

It will hold both of your nameservers yes, with the dns being hosted locally the ns2 is basically just an alias of ns1 and is virtually no use, its main use in this case would be to allow a domain to link with the 2 nameservers they require :)

Chris

Re: Re: 2 configuration questions

ProWebUK said:
Don't understand what your asking unfortunately, could you explain in more detail what you are trying to do?

I want to do a bulk update to all my selected users. For example i have 100 users and i have to update nameservers in every profile. But my question is just about the bulk/batch stuff.. I'm adding a *lot* of users at this moment, so it can be very handy do to stuff in batch..
It will hold both of your nameservers yes, with the dns being hosted locally the ns2 is basically just an alias of ns1 and is virtually no use, its main use in this case would be to allow a domain to link with the 2 nameservers they require :)

Chris
Oh, okay. That's also okay ;)

And excuse me for my english :p

Re: Re: Re: 2 configuration questions

jep said:
I want to do a bulk update to all my selected users. For example i have 100 users and i have to update nameservers in every profile. But my question is just about the bulk/batch stuff.. I'm adding a *lot* of users at this moment, so it can be very handy do to stuff in batch..

You could modify your DNS template with all the records you need, then all sites you create will have them records, unfortunately if im thinking correctly DA does not allow you to add or modify records in bulk, probably due to the fact that once they have been made all domains would be mixed up.. could cause a problem unless they can use the site name variable again :) sure its possible but could cause confusion and anger with developers :p

Chris

Thanks! That helps..

And another small question : I have one directory and 10 domains wich should be pointed to that directory. Is there an easy way to do that? When i add all the domains in directadmin, every domain has it's own directory. And when I use the domain pointer function, it adds www. <fill in>, what about domain.bla itself? Domain.nl should also point to that place.

Thanks!

Hello,

A simple hack would be to create each domain as usual, then just remove the domain's directory and create a symbolic link to the one you want.
Code:
cd /home/username/domains
rm -rf aliaseddomain.com
ln -s realdomain.com aliaseddomain.com
John

Now i'm having the problem..

I want to change the DNS server of *all* domains from on my directadmin (all made by admin, no resellers used)..

How? ;)

the only way you can change the actual domains side of the nameservers, (ns1.domain.com / ns2.domain.com) would be through the company you bought the domain with, and would have to be done for each individual domain, if you want to replace your IPs with a new pair you will basically need to re-setup your nameservers as if it were a new server :)

Chris

Then i have to change every single domain, yes. If that's really needed, i take some time for that :D

Back