robby

Verified User
problem subdomain

hello,

as follow,
i made 2 subdomeins
veilig.vwijngaarden.com
school.vwijngaarden.com

school is a extra directory in the private HTML dir.
So is secured this directory en i made some pages with links to subdirectory's (school.vwijngaarden.com/fotoproject/)
if i go to to school.vwijngaarden.com and i log in i get the right page, but when i click on the link to go to the sub dir with files in it, i have to log on for a second time. But when i do that and i try for 3 times with the right username and password i get:

Authorization Required
This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/1.3.29 Server at school.vwijngaarden.com Port 80

can someone help me with this because i don't know what it is!!

Robby van Wijngaarden

Last edited:
Hello,

Maybe you've removed the password protection http://school.vwijngaarden.com/ because I can see it. Also double check that you're protecting:

/domains/vwinjngaarden.com/public_html/school/fotoproject

Make sure you have an index.html file in there, as directory indexes will be disabled.

Also make sure you havn't added any extra code to the .htaccess file in that folder which might prevent apache from allowing you in.

The way apache works is that if you change domains, it will think you've switch sites (even though its only a different subdomain), and will no longer send the password, so that's why you'd get asked twice.

John

ok, i didn't know that i have to use an index file in the directory..
but isn't possible to view the content of a directory?
A filelist created by apache?
if i place a number of pictures in a directory i must a lift with the files? am i right and is that possible?

thankx!

greetz robby

You don't *have* to have an index.. but you'll get that Forbidden error.

If you want to use indexing (to get rid of the Forbidden error), just create an .htaccess file with the following contents:
Code:
Options +Indexes

John

i tried and it worked!!
super!!
i am very happy with it of course!
is there somewhere a help file that explain the .htacces and the .htpasswd and i can do with it?

thanx already!

Rob

Hello,

I'd recommend just using google.com as it's far too powerful to be summarized in one file :D (well, maybe, but it would be big)

John

Back