How many people are using the DA 6.x Beta?

HH-Steve

Verified User
If your using the DA FreeBSD 6.x Beta (Not DA for 5.x running compat libs on 6.x as this is a completely different compile of DA) add yourself to the list so we all know how many people are testing it and report your progress.

I will start off with me, I have been running it for just over a week and so far it has been running well. I haven't tested everything yet so there still could be some bugs here and there.

Steve

BTW. Now I've latest DirectAdmin for Freebsd5.x but on FreeBSD6 with compat5x libs. Does anyone know how to upgrade to DirectAdmin to version designed for FreeBSD 6?

Last edited:
I will be setting up a 6.x server today for DA use. If I was upgrading from 5.x I would probably go the compat5x route so to avoid running the installation script again, unless there is a much simpler way of replacing the DA binaries with 6.x versions.

Shouldn't it be possible to do an inbox ugprade from freebsd 5.x to 6 like this?

First upgrade freebsd from 5.x to 6. Afterwards contact Mark to change the license to freebsd 6.0, get and install the new license, see here afterwards manually update directadmin with this guide

Now you have to recompile httpd,php etc in the customapache dir. You also have to update mysql (info could be found in the forum), exim, imapd, proftpd could be installed with pkg_add. The only thing I don't know how to update is majordomo.

Regards
Fabrizio

Well here is my views on the 6.x beta.

1 - The licence fails, this is due to them using a newer version of the wget binary and DA's licence system has problems with the new wget. I had to install compat5x and use the wget from the freebsd5.1 dir.

2 - Mysql is 5.x, this is annoying like when they upgraded the packaged version to 4.1 in that there is no prompt asking you which version you want to use. The databases are coming from a box that uses 4.0 so it isnt in my interest to use 5.x.

Otherwise it seems ok on first impressions but I will give more feedback later.

2 - Mysql is 5.x, this is annoying like when they upgraded the packaged version to 4.1 in that there is no prompt asking you which version you want to use. The databases are coming from a box that uses 4.0 so it isnt in my interest to use 5.x.

That's definitely a feature DA needs regardless so we can opt to install which version during the setup run.

1 - The licence fails, this is due to them using a newer version of the wget binary and DA's licence system has problems with the new wget. I had to install compat5x and use the wget from the freebsd5.1 dir.
Hmm! That happened to my hosting provider this weekend. So much for "DA runs on 6.0 out of the box."
2 - Mysql is 5.x, this is annoying......databases are coming from a box that uses 4.0 so it isnt in my interest to use 5.x.
My hosting provider must have encountered this too since I specified 4x. IMO 4.x should be the default. It will be a good long while before people will want 5.x for a several reasons.

1. 5.x has 45% less throughput than 4.x for indexed read operations, which is 99+% of how MySQL is used today.

2. 5.x has 48% less write throughput.

3. The best case scenario for OLTP is 5.x is 31% slower, but that is only part of the story. It deadlocks under heavy load at around 200 connections under FreeBSD 6.0.

4. 5.x can only beat 4.x using its newly added stored procedures and triggers and MAYBE add-hoc queries when using the InnoDB. You would have to use the stored procedure for about everything.

5. No previous MySQL programs could have been written to leverage these new features, and ports from databases such as DB2, MSSQL, and Oracle to MySQL are going to take a long time, if at all. Did I forget to mention that InnoDB was purchased by Oracle and that you still need a commecial license to use InnoDB?

They may have good reasons for defaulting to 5.x in DirectAdmin installs. I would like to know what those reasons are.

Yes althought 5.x is officialy stable, it is beta in my view and a long way away before I would consider it for production use, I suspect their reasons were its got a higher version number. I did ask John about adding a choice on the install script for mysql version but he didnt seem too keen on the idea and said he would consider it.

Yes althought 5.x is officialy stable, it is beta in my view
Even the guys that are rabid about MySQL 5.x admit that it can in no way compete with 4.x unless you use it like a normal DBMS and leverage the back end functions, query optimizer, and cursors. Web programs almost never do that. MSSQL's query optimizer has been able to clean Oracle's clock for at least 6 years now, and DB2 for a lot longer than that. Having been a CTO, and before that DBA, and now leveraged as a database consultant by large companies, I can tell you that the "gas bag" at Oracle has a problem because the golf course crew are finally starting to see what DBAs have known for years. Oracle's nick-name in ERP market is "Dr. Slow". The only reason it is on many servers is some of their financial apps. There is only one thing that nobody beats Oracle at, and that is a table scan, somthing a good query optimizer helps you avoid. I've been through the fire with Firebird, and Ingres, neither one are enterprise. Postgres is always the one with potential and unless something happens to MySQL 5 and InnoDB, it will stay there because there is no reason to use it now. It became obvious that InnoDB had a brain behind it somewhere. Oracle's response was, "We found a flaw in MySQL's business model." But the features that threaten Oracle are of little use to web servers. In fact their overhead is an impediment. Why would you want to incur the overhead of back end functions, cursors and repeatable reads when there is no network between the client and the server and cached web pages are beyond our control? MySQL 4 and 5 address two different markets.

I would much rather have seen them go PHP 5.1.2, and update the webmail clients to match. I'd take the broken apps in exchange for the massive performance gains. With MySQL 5.x, there is nothing to be gained for apps running on a web server no matter how bug free it is.

I will start off with me, I have been running it for just over a week and so far it has been running well.
Eh, good idea. Let's start off with you. Aparently the license thing isn't exactly history with the FreeBSD 6.0 build. How did you past that? My web hosting company would love to know since they placed the request yesterday and haven't heard back from DirectAdmin since.

Thanks!

"DA runs on 6.0 out of the box."
If your using the DA FreeBSD 6.x Beta (Not DA for 5.x running compat libs on 6.x as this is a completely different compile of DA) add yourself to the list so we all know how many people are testing it and report your progress.
cd /usr/ports/misc/compat5x
The hosting company did a clean install and I don't want the compat binaries. I just got an email that it is setup. How can I tell if the OS is running in 5.x compat or 6.0?

Thanks!

As root type:

pkg_info | grep -i '^compat*'

If it come back with compat5 something then that means the compat libs are installed.

Other then that I dont know :)

pkg_info | grep -i '^compat*'
Thanks! I'll remember that. Right now my server isn't running. They said they have to do another reload. It isn't going so good.

Thanks for your help!

IT_Architect said:
Eh, good idea. Let's start off with you. Aparently the license thing isn't exactly history with the FreeBSD 6.0 build. How did you past that?
Thanks!

DA was installed by DA support as a beta test box so no idea.

Maybe try the getLicense.sh that i'm using as that seems to work fine:

Attachments

• getlicense.zip
    736 bytes · Views: 342
same script as I have, whats output of wget --version?
Not sure. My server is down. They are doing the third reload. This last time they forgot to compile SMP.

Thanks!

Back