PDA

View Full Version : How many people are using the DA 6.x Beta?

HH-Steve
01-26-2006, 03:08 PM
If your using the DA FreeBSD 6.x Beta (Not DA for 5.x running compat libs on 6.x as this is a completely different compile of DA) add yourself to the list so we all know how many people are testing it and report your progress.

I will start off with me, I have been running it for just over a week and so far it has been running well. I haven't tested everything yet so there still could be some bugs here and there.

Steve

jarek
02-09-2006, 06:48 AM
BTW. Now I've latest DirectAdmin for Freebsd5.x but on FreeBSD6 with compat5x libs. Does anyone know how to upgrade to DirectAdmin to version designed for FreeBSD 6?

Chrysalis
02-11-2006, 08:47 PM
I will be setting up a 6.x server today for DA use. If I was upgrading from 5.x I would probably go the compat5x route so to avoid running the installation script again, unless there is a much simpler way of replacing the DA binaries with 6.x versions.

stffabi
02-12-2006, 06:43 AM
Shouldn't it be possible to do an inbox ugprade from freebsd 5.x to 6 like this?

First upgrade freebsd from 5.x to 6. Afterwards contact Mark to change the license to freebsd 6.0, get and install the new license, see here (http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=30) afterwards manually update directadmin with this guide (http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=29)

Now you have to recompile httpd,php etc in the customapache dir. You also have to update mysql (info could be found in the forum), exim, imapd, proftpd could be installed with pkg_add. The only thing I don't know how to update is majordomo.

Regards
Fabrizio

Chrysalis
02-13-2006, 01:46 AM
Well here is my views on the 6.x beta.

1 - The licence fails, this is due to them using a newer version of the wget binary and DA's licence system has problems with the new wget. I had to install compat5x and use the wget from the freebsd5.1 dir.

2 - Mysql is 5.x, this is annoying like when they upgraded the packaged version to 4.1 in that there is no prompt asking you which version you want to use. The databases are coming from a box that uses 4.0 so it isnt in my interest to use 5.x.

Otherwise it seems ok on first impressions but I will give more feedback later.

jschurawlow
02-19-2006, 12:42 AM
2 - Mysql is 5.x, this is annoying like when they upgraded the packaged version to 4.1 in that there is no prompt asking you which version you want to use. The databases are coming from a box that uses 4.0 so it isnt in my interest to use 5.x.

That's definitely a feature DA needs regardless so we can opt to install which version during the setup run.

IT_Architect
02-27-2006, 05:41 AM
1 - The licence fails, this is due to them using a newer version of the wget binary and DA's licence system has problems with the new wget. I had to install compat5x and use the wget from the freebsd5.1 dir. Hmm! That happened to my hosting provider this weekend. So much for "DA runs on 6.0 out of the box."
2 - Mysql is 5.x, this is annoying......databases are coming from a box that uses 4.0 so it isnt in my interest to use 5.x. My hosting provider must have encountered this too since I specified 4x. IMO 4.x should be the default. It will be a good long while before people will want 5.x for a several reasons.

1. 5.x has 45% less throughput than 4.x for indexed read operations, which is 99+% of how MySQL is used today.

2. 5.x has 48% less write throughput.

3. The best case scenario for OLTP is 5.x is 31% slower, but that is only part of the story. It deadlocks under heavy load at around 200 connections under FreeBSD 6.0.

4. 5.x can only beat 4.x using its newly added stored procedures and triggers and MAYBE add-hoc queries when using the InnoDB. You would have to use the stored procedure for about everything.

5. No previous MySQL programs could have been written to leverage these new features, and ports from databases such as DB2, MSSQL, and Oracle to MySQL are going to take a long time, if at all. Did I forget to mention that InnoDB was purchased by Oracle and that you still need a commecial license to use InnoDB?

They may have good reasons for defaulting to 5.x in DirectAdmin installs. I would like to know what those reasons are.

Chrysalis
02-27-2006, 10:18 AM
Yes althought 5.x is officialy stable, it is beta in my view and a long way away before I would consider it for production use, I suspect their reasons were its got a higher version number. I did ask John about adding a choice on the install script for mysql version but he didnt seem too keen on the idea and said he would consider it.

IT_Architect
02-27-2006, 01:45 PM
Yes althought 5.x is officialy stable, it is beta in my view Even the guys that are rabid about MySQL 5.x admit that it can in no way compete with 4.x unless you use it like a normal DBMS and leverage the back end functions, query optimizer, and cursors. Web programs almost never do that. MSSQL's query optimizer has been able to clean Oracle's clock for at least 6 years now, and DB2 for a lot longer than that. Having been a CTO, and before that DBA, and now leveraged as a database consultant by large companies, I can tell you that the "gas bag" at Oracle has a problem because the golf course crew are finally starting to see what DBAs have known for years. Oracle's nick-name in ERP market is "Dr. Slow". The only reason it is on many servers is some of their financial apps. There is only one thing that nobody beats Oracle at, and that is a table scan, somthing a good query optimizer helps you avoid. I've been through the fire with Firebird, and Ingres, neither one are enterprise. Postgres is always the one with potential and unless something happens to MySQL 5 and InnoDB, it will stay there because there is no reason to use it now. It became obvious that InnoDB had a brain behind it somewhere. Oracle's response was, "We found a flaw in MySQL's business model." But the features that threaten Oracle are of little use to web servers. In fact their overhead is an impediment. Why would you want to incur the overhead of back end functions, cursors and repeatable reads when there is no network between the client and the server and cached web pages are beyond our control? MySQL 4 and 5 address two different markets.

I would much rather have seen them go PHP 5.1.2, and update the webmail clients to match. I'd take the broken apps in exchange for the massive performance gains. With MySQL 5.x, there is nothing to be gained for apps running on a web server no matter how bug free it is.

IT_Architect
02-27-2006, 02:19 PM
I will start off with me, I have been running it for just over a week and so far it has been running well. Eh, good idea. Let's start off with you. Aparently the license thing isn't exactly history with the FreeBSD 6.0 build. How did you past that? My web hosting company would love to know since they placed the request yesterday and haven't heard back from DirectAdmin since.

Thanks!

Chrysalis
02-27-2006, 05:22 PM
fetch http://files.directadmin.com/services/freebsd5.1/wget and put in /usr/local/bin/wget.

cd /usr/ports/misc/compat5x
make install clean

then rerun the license script.

IT_Architect
02-27-2006, 07:25 PM
"DA runs on 6.0 out of the box."
If your using the DA FreeBSD 6.x Beta (Not DA for 5.x running compat libs on 6.x as this is a completely different compile of DA) add yourself to the list so we all know how many people are testing it and report your progress.
cd /usr/ports/misc/compat5x The hosting company did a clean install and I don't want the compat binaries. I just got an email that it is setup. How can I tell if the OS is running in 5.x compat or 6.0?

Thanks!

chatwizrd
02-28-2006, 01:28 PM
As root type:

pkg_info | grep -i '^compat*'

If it come back with compat5 something then that means the compat libs are installed.

Other then that I dont know :)

IT_Architect
02-28-2006, 09:48 PM
pkg_info | grep -i '^compat*' Thanks! I'll remember that. Right now my server isn't running. They said they have to do another reload. It isn't going so good.

Thanks for your help!

HH-Steve
03-01-2006, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by IT_Architect
Eh, good idea. Let's start off with you. Aparently the license thing isn't exactly history with the FreeBSD 6.0 build. How did you past that?
Thanks!

DA was installed by DA support as a beta test box so no idea.

Maybe try the getLicense.sh that i'm using as that seems to work fine:

IT_Architect
03-01-2006, 07:45 AM
DA was installed by DA support as a beta test box so no idea. That makes sense out of some things for me.

Thanks!

Chrysalis
03-01-2006, 09:06 AM
same script as I have, whats output of wget --version?

IT_Architect
03-01-2006, 09:42 AM
same script as I have, whats output of wget --version? Not sure. My server is down. They are doing the third reload. This last time they forgot to compile SMP.

Thanks!

Chrysalis
03-01-2006, 11:26 AM
was to hh-steve sorry.

chatwizrd
03-01-2006, 02:17 PM
What isp are you hosting with that makes this many mistakes?

IT_Architect
03-01-2006, 04:41 PM
What isp are you hosting with that makes this many mistakes? The only real mistake that I can say they made is not compiling SMP on a dual Opeteron server. You could make a case that the firewall selection is mine to make and install. Because they have been a good source for a lot of people and have a great reputation, I'm withholding their name to protect the guilty.

I'm getting the feeling that I'm the only real beta tester. I know the hoster has been working with DA on it, but I don't have a server yet in what is coming up on 72 hours. Is there anyone on this thread that is using DA with FreeBSD 6.0, compiled multi-processor, that is running in production that did not have DA do the work?

Thanks!

HH-Steve
03-01-2006, 06:07 PM
@Chrysalis

GNU Wget 1.10.2

IT_Architect
03-02-2006, 07:51 AM
Unfortunately DirectAdmin will not start on this server. We keep getting the following error:

#########################################
server# /usr/local/directadmin/directadmin start Unable to read the license file
reason: Unable to read the contents of the license #########################################

We have checked and the license is valid. We recommend you chose an OS and control panel combination that is not in beta.The only difference was a recompile SMP. Perhaps they didn't use the same procedures to work around the license issue as the last time when it was compiled under UP. Apparently there are also no instructions on how to circumvent the license problem included with the product. Out of respect for them and their time, I'm not going to ask them to spend any more time on it. If it won't install, it isn't beta.

This is a lost revenue opportunity for DirectAdmin to be the only product that supports FreeBSD 6.0. Few web hosting companies will spend as much time trying to install it as mine has for me. Most would have bailed long ago.

Chrysalis
03-02-2006, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by HH-Steve
@Chrysalis

GNU Wget 1.10.2

Ok I will bring this thread to john's attention as I am curious how the license was retrieved on wget 10.x, wget 10.x failed on 1 freebsd 4.x box and was actually downgraded by john himself to fix the problems this was a few months back and I had to downgrade on my 6.x box to get it to work. Strangely the new wget appears to work when DA does automated licence updates tho on a few other boxes. I know directadmin have a fudged licence and I think it would be a great help if they fixed this, if this isnt making it fail I dont know what else it could be.

IT_Architect
03-02-2006, 10:44 AM
Ok I will bring this thread to john's attention I appreciate that.
1. We need an official fix from the "horses mouth" along with any downsides.
2. It needs to be part of the installation docs.
3. It needs to be out here on this thread so that when people search for an answer, they find it.

HH-Steve
03-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Just a thought but couldn't you modify the getLicense.sh script and change the wget line and replace it with fetch? I don't know if fetch is capable of using that kind of url the licence uses but just a thought.

Steven

IT_Architect
03-02-2006, 03:57 PM
Just a thought but couldn't you modify the getLicense.sh script and change the wget line and replace it with fetch? I don't know if fetch is capable of using that kind of url the licence uses but just a thought. I don't know. DA gave me a script to send to them. I did that, and haven't heard back. I will pass this to DA though to see what they think.

Thanks!

IT_Architect
03-03-2006, 05:32 AM
Somehow they got it working. This is the first DirectAdmin + FreeBSD 6.0 SMP machine. We will see. It ran for a couple hours, then crashed hard while I was in the control panel. I couldn't even ping it. I don't know the cause. It may have nothing to do with DA. It's been running again for about 6 hours but I haven't been in DA.

Thanks for your help!

IT_Architect
03-03-2006, 05:39 AM
PS: The last thing that they sent the web hoster through me was:
Ok, that's not a binary issue, that's just a license problem.
Try this guide:
http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=30

Might be realted to the --no-check-certificate issue.

Let me know what the output of that guide is.
Hopefully this is of help to someone else. They had it running UP, SMP they had a problem. I wouldn't think there would be a difference or maybe just a different person setting it up, I don't know. All I'm saying is that this is the last correspondance before the control panel started working.

Chrysalis
03-03-2006, 03:00 PM
dont know about that, it used that switch on my 6.0 box wget just kept rejecting the da output or da was rejecting the wget headers. I grabbed the 5.1 binary and it worked first time.

IT_Architect
03-03-2006, 03:52 PM
I don't know what they did to get it to work. It could have been what they learned from the script and maybe the hoster and DA talked between. All I know is it is running.

However, now that I have you on the line, I think you are a FreeBSD man. I need to put in AWStats, and I seem to remember you whining on the AWStats thread.<g> Can you tell me what I need to get it installed? I started a thead in 3rd party named AWStats on FreeBSD just hoping that you would show up.

Chrysalis
03-03-2006, 07:30 PM
you need what I said, if you seen me whine you seen the solution.

If I remember correctly when installing the plugin it will tell you the command to run in the shell but before you run it edit it and correct the path to the tar command. Then run it, make sure it downloads and untars ok if that is successful it then should be working.

IT_Architect
03-03-2006, 07:33 PM
Got it! It wasn't clear from what I read if you ended up a happy camper or not, which is why I asked.

Thanks Tons!

IT_Architect
03-16-2006, 10:30 AM
I'm checking in to state my experiences os setting up a production server running on DA and FreeBSD 6.0.

The install didn't go well because of the license issue mentioned by others. That can be quite a challenge apparently for even web hosters familiar with DA. Once up and running, there are no issues.

We've also made some changes to the install. I had chrysalis install MySQL 4.x instead of 5, and PHP 5.2 instead of the 4.x. That way I had someone to blame if it didn't go so well. ;-) Pride won't let me admit that he is better than me at this stuff.
- PHP 5.1.2 is excellent, stable, and the APC cache works well with it. I'm running compatability mode at the moment because there are some pieces missig if you move to it.
1. There is no PHPMyAdmin available that is in a stable branch. Thus it is not in FreeBSD ports. PHPMyAdmin version for 4.x works, but it is a strange actor when you logout.
2. There are no issues with SquirrelMail/Nutsmail this way. There is a SquirrelMail for 5.x, but if you check it out, you will see that at the time of this writing, it is not recommended for production use. Thus, also no Nutsmail for 5.x either, but I haven't encountered any issues with the 4.x version as of yet.

Other changes:
- I changed DA and SquirrelMail to do secure login. I take the low risk stuff.<g>

The server:
The server is a dual Opteron 246, 2 gigs of ram, and dual SCSI 10K 73s. The OS is FreeBSD 6.0 to skirt some of the issues 5.x has. The server runs a weather site that runs a MySQL database, calcs lattitude and longitude, finds closest reporting stations based on longitude and lattitude, fetches weather information, and creates weather maps. During the middle of the night the traffic cools to 2,000 online at a time and sometimes less. Normal daytime highs range from a low of 5,000 to and average of 6,600, to a high of between 9,000 and 10,000 when there is something going on. (Hurricane season). We will be moving our hotel site, rental cars, etc. over to it. Noon hour east coast time is the hardest hit. We just had well over 9,000 on today. Server loads ranged 1.35 to 1.85. Performance still good. We plan to move our Hotel site, rental car site, etc. over to it too. The weather site is the acid test. If it doesn't fall down under the weather site, it isn't going to fall down. We'll see how well it goes with the Hotel site on there with it. That's the number two hitter we have. It has a much larger MySQL database, but it doesn't have to create maps and there are never that many users on it at a time.

If DA injected any instabilities into FreeBSD 6.0, we'd know about it by now. It's been getting hammered for two weeks now. Even with all of our changes from the default install, it doesn't seem to shake up DA.

That's all that I have.

Chrysalis
03-16-2006, 06:31 PM
agree if you take away the initial installation problems once its actually running its fairly stable.

IT_Architect
03-17-2006, 01:30 PM
I just got an email that DA just crashed. I found that to be true. I logged in SSH to start it it, it says OK, but when I do a status on it, it says it has a pid but it is dead. Hopefully DA didn't just send out an update. I'm waiting to see what the web hoster finds. Very strange!

IT_Architect
03-18-2006, 01:38 AM
The hoster did not figure out what was wrong, but John from DA support did:

"Hello,

I logged in and checked the logs:

server# tail /var/log/directadmin/error.log
2006:03:18-03:11:00: error loading certificate key
2006:03:18-03:11:11: error loading certificate key
2006:03:18-03:12:00: error loading certificate key

I then edited the conf/directadmin.conf, set SSL=0 and startd DA.
Looks like the certificate/key pair don't match (or something along those lines).

Likely the change was made a while ago (date stamp of the key is March 10th) but DA wasn't restarted.
Then DA was recently restarted at which time is tried to load those value, thus failing.

Thank you,

JohnI did setup DA SSL per the instructions, and I did restart it. But I also added a snakeoil server certificate later so I could do backups. The snakeoil cert. was expired, but I don't see why that would matter and the rsync backup still worked with it. I don't see the connection but that is the history. Thus the problem PROBABLY was somehow related to something that I did, which is good news.

woyteck
03-23-2006, 06:02 PM
I have DA working good on FreeBSD 6.0 since yesterday.

I hope that upgrade to 6.1-release will not destroy DA.
(6.1 will be avaliable within month, I think)

BigWil
03-30-2006, 01:02 AM
Hey so what are those issues you said you are skirting by upgrading to FreeBSD 6.0? Just checking. Anything like kernel panics, WRITE_DMA problems, and frozen hard drives?

Ready for 6.0 myself actually. While we still have a few customers left. 5.4 really sucks.

Big Wil

woyteck
03-30-2006, 02:51 AM
Well, I use FreeBSD 6.0 because my hardware is so new, that 5.4 and 5.5beta didn't recognize SATA on my mainboard.
But I found several bugs in 6.0 and they don't seem to be fixed in 6.1 :(
(memory leak in RAID 10 in FreeBSD 6.0, after 10GB of upload by network server crashes - error is submitted)

Chrysalis
03-30-2006, 06:10 AM
5.4 sucks in what way? I think 5.4 has a unfair bad repuation people dont like odd numbered versions, it got a bad rep because the smp stuff was fubared and people comparing it to 4.x. I personally think in terms of stability 6.0 is not as stable as both 5.3 and 5.4 and I have had 6.0 servers simply lock up. I am expecting 6.1 to be a lot more stable as always with freebsd the first release in a major branch is not usually as stable as late releases in previous branches.

BigWil
03-30-2006, 10:07 AM
Well just using standard ATA drives I am getting the same thing happening kernel panics, Write_DMA issues, both of which cause the server to lockup. So you are saying these are the same sort of issues that you are seeing with 6.0. I guess that means they weren't all fixed.

Linux is looking better every day.

Big Wil

Chrysalis
03-30-2006, 10:19 AM
the difference is if I understand you right you were seeing lockups in both 5.4 and 6.0, my 5.4 was fine but 6.0 wasnt.

BigWil
03-30-2006, 10:37 AM
Correct. I was just saying I am seeing nearly the same issues with 5.4. So basically I am in a bad situation unless I go back to 4.1. Too bad there isn't a downgrade path. Cause if I put the customers on that machine through another move I won't have them for customers anymore. I hate can't win situations.

Big Wil

Chrysalis
03-30-2006, 02:03 PM
I dont think many will argue that 4.x beats both 5.x and 6.x hands down in stability it was hard to crash a box running that, its pretty nifty as well on UP boxes, a shame the branch is been abandoned.

BigWil
03-30-2006, 04:04 PM
Yah. Unfortunately when we went into our datacenter move I started down the trail of 5.4 and it is about impossible to go back.

So you don't think in your opinion that going to 6.0 will fix these panic and filesystem issues? Todays big event is I went to make a tarball of a users directory and POP! the filesystem froze solid. I am going to be bald here real soon. Thank god the new datacenter has 24/7 hands on. A reboot and fsck seems to fix it up for awhile.

FYI: Here is at least one of the issues. http://tinyurl.com/rapxm
Everyone seems to think it is a drive or cable. That is probably why it hasn't been fixed in 2 major branches. And it isn't the drive or cable unless it is happening on 3 completely different brand new machines. Awfully big coincidence.

Big Wil

BigWil
03-30-2006, 11:10 PM
Did everyone that installed DA for FreeBSD 6.0 do it on a fresh OS? I want to be able to drop a disc in and upgrade rather than completely formatting. And the machine also already has the DA for 5.x on it. Anyone forsee any immediate problems?

Big Wil

IT_Architect
03-31-2006, 11:40 AM
Did everyone that installed DA for FreeBSD 6.0 do it on a fresh OS?Mine was

woyteck
03-31-2006, 11:59 AM
Me also

Chrysalis
03-31-2006, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by BigWil
Yah. Unfortunately when we went into our datacenter move I started down the trail of 5.4 and it is about impossible to go back.

So you don't think in your opinion that going to 6.0 will fix these panic and filesystem issues? Todays big event is I went to make a tarball of a users directory and POP! the filesystem froze solid. I am going to be bald here real soon. Thank god the new datacenter has 24/7 hands on. A reboot and fsck seems to fix it up for awhile.

FYI: Here is at least one of the issues. http://tinyurl.com/rapxm
Everyone seems to think it is a drive or cable. That is probably why it hasn't been fixed in 2 major branches. And it isn't the drive or cable unless it is happening on 3 completely different brand new machines. Awfully big coincidence.

Big Wil

If you getting panics in both 5.x and 6.x then if anything you are more likely to see it fixed in 6.x since that branch has more development and your best short term hope there is 6.1 release. I assume you have done tests and ruled out the hardware been bad?

--edit--

I missed that you have this problem on 3 different machines is that right? things you can try are disabling APIC then if no good disable ACPI fully, also you probably need to go down the bug reporting route and submit a PR to the freebsd dev's.

I have upgraded a 5.x box to 6.0 before and was ok, but all the servers I use for 6.0 since have been fresh installs.

BigWil
03-31-2006, 02:20 PM
Yes I have smarttools running on all of the machines and not a single bad sector. I swapped out the drives when it first started happening and that didn't help. Swapped cables and that didn't fix it either.

Did all this on 3 different machines all with the same issues and results.

I would like to hope it will be fixed in 6.1 or better yet even 5.4. However, from the mailing lists I can't even see that anyone has ever identified or acknowledged the issue. So I sort of doubt it will get fixed. It must be acknowledged first.

I am starting a thread over at "questions". Maybe we can get the ball rolling. Until then I have a couple of outages a day under any kind of load. Life sucks.

Big Wil

Chrysalis
04-01-2006, 06:30 AM
I am with you on this, I participate on the lists and it can be frustrating to get bugs acknowledged, any kind of problem on 6.0 and the standard reply is to replace the hardware it must be bad, or low end. Then we see why linux is so much more popular as they have much better compatability.

I have read a fair few mails with reference to write_dma and it does seem its more then a small occurance, People seem to resolve it different ways or they get swept under the carpet.

I do know their is some sata bugs resolved in 6.1 but if that hasnt helped you then given the circumstances your options are limited other then to use a diff ide controller.

dennisc
04-05-2006, 07:39 AM
I do not agree.

I used FreeBSD from 5.2.1 to 5.3 to 5.4 to 6.0 on production servers and on desktops even all beta's untill 6.1-BETA4 and they all run rocksolid.

IT_Architect
04-05-2006, 08:35 AM
We've used FreeBSD 4.9, 5.3, 6.0, CENTOS 3, and Fedora Core 3 on a very busy server. We did not set up any of our servers, rather the hosting companies did. In our case none of the FreeBSD's had a problem while none of the Linuxes remained standing. We went with Linux when we did because the web hosters said it was better. One of the hosters changed their tune after they encountered a few more sites like ours.

We've had lots of trouble getting 6.0 to run, but it had nothing to do with FreeBSD. It was always the add-ons. 6.0 never folded on us.

iPower runs between 600 and 700 sites on each server. They use FreeBSD 4.9. It may matter what you are doing. ThePlanet said, they have about a 60/40 mix. They said that hosters tend to favor FreeBSD, 40%, and people running servers for themselves and applications make up the other 60%. Their Windows slice at this point is too small to mention.

I'm sure that Chrysalis has experienced things that we haven't. We haven't had good luck with Linux even from one of the top rated hosts.

I'm torn as much as anyone else between these two, but my thoughts at this point are, FreeBSD, like a Chevrolet. Linux is like homemade custom car show. I was concerned about the strength of FreeBSD, but when I see the MAC in there working with them and them stealing everything good that comes out of the Linux crowd, I'm no longer as concerned about that. Linux's many flavors is its weakness. FreeBSD doesn't seem to be in a hurry to go anywhere, but they do seem to be concerned with getting it right. That is what created their constituency, many of whom came from Linux.

Chrysalis
04-05-2006, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by dennisc
I do not agree.

I used FreeBSD from 5.2.1 to 5.3 to 5.4 to 6.0 on production servers and on desktops even all beta's untill 6.1-BETA4 and they all run rocksolid.

So it ran well on those spec's doesnt mean there is no problem.

So every single problem people have with those 4 releases and 6.1-beta4 is either operator error or bad hardware in your view?

I personally have had no problems with any 4.x release, had some issues with 5.3 and 5.4 which I worked around. 6.0 has been unstable when under load but ok when idle, I have now seen it running ok on a couple of servers tho.

6.1-prerelease however in every case so far has been fine on machines that were unstable in 6.0, this would indicate to me their were bugs in 6.0 that have been fixed. Also if you think 6.0 is rock solid have a look at the 6.1 TODO list in particular the stress tests.

IT_Architect
04-05-2006, 12:58 PM
So it ran well on those spec's doesnt mean there is no problem. So every single problem people have with those 4 releases and 6.1-beta4 is either operator error or bad hardware in your view?I think I said the opposite of that. I'm sure that Chrysalis has experienced things that we haven't. We haven't had good luck with Linux even from one of the top rated hosts.
6.1-prerelease however in every case so far has been fine on machines that were unstable in 6.0, this would indicate to me their were bugs in 6.0 that have been fixed. Also if you think 6.0 is rock solid have a look at the 6.1 TODO list in particular the stress tests. I'll believe you. I wouldn't even know where to look to find the TODO list. All I know is that ours is working, and weather sites work pretty hard, and we've since added a large hotel booking site, and a few other minor sites. 5.x was 6.0 half done. My fear with 5.x is that I couldn't imagine them caring much about 5.x. 6.0 is the rest pieces. With an entirely new architecture, I'm surprised it works as well as it does. The remainder of the 6.x should make it into a solid product like 4.x is. All that I know is what worked, and what didn't work for me. It sounds like it will take more than 6.0 to work for you. Hopefully 6.1 release will work for you.

Chrysalis
04-05-2006, 02:41 PM
well I was replying to dennis.

You right tho that bugs in 6.x are the ones that will get fixed, 4.x and 5.x will mostly now just be maintenance updates. I am also confident 6.x will go onto be a very good branch and 6.1 and beyond will be more stable as my experience with 6.1-prerelease is already showing.

IT_Architect
04-05-2006, 02:53 PM
well I was replying to dennis Gotcha!

5y6s
04-10-2006, 04:43 AM
i want to use it for my new Server

IT_Architect
04-10-2006, 06:13 AM
i want to use it for my new Server The only advice I would have is to start with DA tech support before you buy.
- Ask them how to get around the license issue so your hosting service won't have such a problem installig DA. You must have the answer to that. The install out of the box does not happen in any way shape or forum. You need an answer to this problem that most certainly exists and most certainly will be a major pain the backside to your hosting service when setting you up.
- There is a how-to on making the login secure. It isn't the default like it is on other control panels. Once you have those in hand, you will have no problem. You can get up a real Geo Trust cert for $15 from ev1servers.net. Because they have their own trusted root, you don't have to go through extra steps as with off-brand certs that use someone else's trusted root.
- If you are going to add CLAMAV to your email, then I'll send you my conf file if you wish.

Once it is up and running, we have experienced no problems. It remains responsive and fast under very heavy loads.

In the future, upgrading from 6 would be a lot better than upgrading from 5.x. 6.x is a radical departure from 4.x. 5.x is a mix mash of 4.x and 6.x pieces. I can see them spending more time maintaining 4.x than 5.x. The only thing that 5.x did for FreeBSD was give it a black eye. 6.x is their pride and joy and where SMP and threading STARTS to work right. I would expect 6.1 to clean up a lot of details.

BigWil
04-10-2006, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Chrysalis

6.1 and beyond will be more stable as my experience with 6.1-prerelease is already showing. [/B]

Yes! 6.1-prerelease rocks! All of my troubles have gone away except for 1. There seems to be a bug in the bge drivers for the nic on one of my machines. Other than that the 5.4 issues (kernel panic issues, the DMA issues, and the lockups) are gone. And general filesystem performance has improved considerably.

Big Wil

dennisc
04-25-2006, 06:26 AM
Also if you think 6.0 is rock solid have a look at the 6.1 TODO list in particular the stress tests.

There's a lot of 7.0-CURRENT merged back into 6.1-PRERELEASE / 6.1-BETA.

alpha
04-28-2006, 06:35 PM
I beta tested for DA on FreeBSD 5.x one or two years ago... it was a very smooth ride.

I also wanted to beta test it, emailed them and they replied back that everything seems to be running normally so they aren't taking any more beta testers.

I emailed back and forth between Mark and John who have been very helpful. I reloaded the old freebsd server with a new 6.0 and reinstalled DA. It is running flawlessly.

IT_Architect
04-28-2006, 07:03 PM
I've been having issues that I don't know quite what to attribute it to. Pages quit serving for no reason. I learned there is a major problem with SMP with 5.x and 6.x, but is more pronounced in 6.x. Unfortunately we are running 6.0 SMP. From the SMP problem sprouts a multitude of fringe problems. I'm guessing that 6.1 won't see the light of day until that is solved. That's also why I'm not upgrading to 6.1 beta as I would guess that there is little point in us doing so until the SMP issue is resolved. Today is a great day to be uniprocessor.

Perhaps the difference between experiences is rooted in whether people are running SMP or not. Ours runs good most of the time, but we're experiencing twice-a-week down times. Usually the server stays running and recovers by itself. One time they needed to reboot it at the data center. It would be nice to see an error, but there isn't.

It's doubtfull that any of our issues are related in any way to DA.

Chrysalis
04-28-2006, 10:56 PM
Their are problems in 6.0 with non SMP as well, I still rate 6.0 as below both 5.4 and 6.1-prerelease in terms of stability, no matter how much testing you do with beta testers the first release out in the wild of the branch will find problems which is why I am amazed at the amount of people who jumped to x.0 release. This is showing with the amount of people reporting problems with 6.0, upgrading to 6.1 prerelease and then reporting their problems as solved, dennisc I dont know how much of the current reports for 6.1 are todo with code been merged from 7.0 when I asked on the mailing list are the bugs present in 6.0 as well I got the answer they are for the entire 6.x branch so I assume that meant yes.

Back on the subject of the topic as this is supposed to be about DA implementation on 6.0 I havent still seen any issues crop up post the initial installation with directadmin.

IT_Architect
04-29-2006, 10:29 AM
>I havent still seen any issues crop up post the initial installation with directadmin.<

For me that was accurate. The only problem, albiet very troublesome problem, was the DA licensing issue when installing on FreeBSD 6.0. DA has been the only thing that I haven't had a problem with once past the install hurdle.

>I am amazed at the amount of people who jumped to x.0 release.<

4.x is so stable that the only failures are hardware failures. People lost a lot of confidence in FreeBSD's stability after the 5.x release. 5.x was half-done SMP support. I figured that might be the problem with it. 6.x did fix things in some threading libraries that gave 5.x a "black eye". I had a MP server. I didn't want to do a 5.x to 6.x upgrade, and end up with a part legacy install. That said, I was on 5.3 before and did not have the problems that I'm having now. Now that it's "Monday morning", it's clear that I didn't escape unscathed. However, I've made the same bet before and came out "smelling like a rose". At the time that I made the decision, all the evidence pointed toward 6.0 being the better choice for stability and all around than 5.x.

I would like to escape the beta stigma by waiting for 6.1 release and after they have that one nasty SMP bug fixed. However, if I keep having weeks that resemble the past two weeks, I may be compelled to upgrade to 6.1 beta. Looking at their progress, it appears as though 6.1 is being held up by the SMP bug.