Firewalling inside a VPS...

interfasys

Verified User
It seems to be difficult to find a firewall that works inside a VPS (might be a Virtuozzo only issue). APF and KISS don't work.

Does somebody have one that works?

I only have info for APF which gives a lot of module loading errors and which blocks wget and doesn't allow users to use ftp correctly when given a range of ports to use.

What specific info do you have, Olivier?

I can probably give you a fix for the ftp issue if you can tell me what you already know. It would be the same method I used to allow ftp with ipchains, but updated for iptables.

And if anyone can point me to a 1-to-1 translation rule for converting ipchains rules to iptables rules, I can create a working firewall rather quickly, as I have a complete working firewall for ipchains that works well with DA.

Thanks.

Jeff

Hello Jeff,

Thanks for your info to help. Unfortunately, I'm not using a VPS anymore, so I can't provide more details.

It seems APF or Kiss still cannot be run inside a VPS and the admins of such setup usually build a firewall with custom rules instead of using those automatic tools.

I'm still trying, and still failing :( .

I found ipchains2iptables, but it's creating rules that run, but don't work.

I've heard that within the next month there will be a new Virtuozzo kernel which will allow all standard iptables commands to work.

In the meantime we're still searching.

Jeff

Back