Masking the Sender: in Welcome email

Andrax

Verified User
From the reseller cp, when you use DA to send out a welcome email to the end user, it lists the Sender: in the email header, and the sender appears to be the server name.

Is it possible to remove this, or mask it so that it does not appear in the Welcome email to the reseller clients?

Hello,

You can remove the "Sender:" header by adding:

local_from_check = false

to your "MAIN CONFIGURATION SETTINGS" in the /etc/exim.conf

John

I am a reseller with a company that uses DA. E-mails from my account contain the res0XXXX details in the mail header (I have already changed my details on the stats page).

I have asked my supplier to check out this forum message thread and determine whether the suggested solution would fix the problem. They have said that after contacting DA that it is not possible to set this option. Is this correct?

Thanks

Stephen

Hello,

I don't think it's possible to remove the "Return-path". I've tried many things, but that particular header likes to stay put :)

John

local_from_check = false

With exim 4 instead of:

local_from_check = false

you should write:

no_local_from_check

Where would I put this in Jeff's Spam Blocker exim.conf? I don't see this section.

Hey,

The "Main Configuration Settings" section is the first section after all the comments at the beginning of the exim.conf file.

You should be able to put it in that area.

David

pulling a thread out of the grave again.....

anyone know if there are any bad side-effects to this? surely directadmin have a reason they dont have this enabled by default?

because this adversely affects suExec setups and turning it off seems to be the only solution. but what about in terms of security?

Why don't I put it into the exim.conf file? Because I believe in as much documentation as possible, for use when tracking down spam. Don't forget the setting doesn't just keep the sender out of emails sent by DirectAdmin; it keeps it out of all emails sent by the server.

How does it effect suExec? It only effects a header in outgoing email; nothing else.

Jeff

yes it only effects header but when you view the mail in Outlook or Hotmail, it shows the email as "server.hostname.com" on behalf of "[email protected]".

it's been a growing complaint from customers and we needed a solution. any advice here?

thanks

Microsoft (gotta love 'em) believes that if an email's sender and return address differ it should let you know.

I've done a bit more research since my last post. We do (at least by default and according to RFCs) want mailing lists to show senders so recipients can see which mailing list actually sent the message (the from address is often the poster).

Jeff

Hello,

local_from_check = false

John
Where can i get the location in my Directadmin? Will that remove ip address from email being sent out?

Back