550 permiision

peck13

through my wsf-tp-lE I keep getting 550 permission denied. sometimes I can and sometimes I can't, ( mostly not ) this started recently when my provider switched servers confused
any ideas ??? woody

What type of file is it? can you access any files in the directory at all?

Chris

this is usualy when you dont own the files (unix permissions). get your provider to do this:

# cd /home/<your username>/
# chown <your username>.<your username> * -R

eg:
If you username was "graph" then they would do this:
# cd /home/graph/
# chown graph.graph * -R

It would probably be the html directory only and he could fix it himself.

Was trying to get further information of the problems before i blurted out solutions which *may* be the wrong thing.

never hurts to give ownership :p

if they moved server, depending on how the sys admin moved the servers it could have resulted in ownership by the admin on all files. Sadly the user cannot re-claim the files by themselves.

phriendly-Mark said:
never hurts to give ownership :p

if they moved server, depending on how the sys admin moved the servers it could have resulted in ownership by the admin on all files. Sadly the user cannot re-claim the files by themselves.

If they unpack / move as root then all files will be owned by root correct, although he mentioned he was using ftp to upload the files so it appears that it may not be the case, and the information you provided *may* possibly not be required and a waste of time for both the user and the sys admin. I know what it feels like to have pointless requests as a sys admin, which is why i like to get more accurate information firstly :)

Chris

Back