PDA

View Full Version : convert from vm-pop to dovecot howto?

freakie
03-01-2006, 12:16 AM
hi,

i see that since 1.263 there are some scripts for converting from vm-pop to dovecot?

where can i find a howto guide?

freakie
03-01-2006, 02:55 AM
./build dovecot
./build todovecot
.build updatedovecot

that is what i was looking for

truenegative
03-11-2006, 03:12 PM
did you get a chance to test this out yet?

freakie
03-11-2006, 07:45 PM
yes, i did. works like a charm. be sure not to start the conversion 3 times like i did. then you end up with identical e-mails :P

truenegative
03-13-2006, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by freakie
yes, i did. works like a charm. be sure not to start the conversion 3 times like i did. then you end up with identical e-mails :P

hehe ok. I'm doing it on a fresh da system, so it should go painless :D

BigWil
03-15-2006, 07:03 PM
Question. If you create a new DA system with Dovecot, can you move customers from the mbox system over to the new one without having to do any conversion? Or will the backup/restore utility bring over the mbox?

Big Wil

nobaloney
03-18-2006, 06:41 PM
You'll get an unusable mbox.

Jeff

truenegative
03-20-2006, 05:53 PM
just to note, I have a fully working dovecot system on my box....I'm going to try to bring over some Maildir messages from my old qmail system, and load them into dovecot.

BigWil
03-20-2006, 08:52 PM
Well the result of that would be very helpful since I still have that one machine to convert shortly. Please keep me posted.

Big Wil

LukaszTMM
03-22-2006, 01:48 AM
Hi there.

Where i can reach those 'build' scripts that are mentioned above?

Regards.

torp
03-22-2006, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by LukaszTMM
Hi there.

Regards.

I saw somewhere on these boards that there'll be an upgrade to the scripts on March 27th. (Don't remember exactly where...I might be wrong). In that case, I'd wait until Monday.

truenegative
03-22-2006, 02:45 PM
Hi there.

Regards.

/usr/local/directadmin/customapache/

woyteck
03-22-2006, 06:35 PM
I've got that error wjen running ./build dovecot

root@new# ./build dovecot
Installing dovecot 1.0.beta3 ...
*** Cannot find /usr/local/directadmin/customapache/dovecot-1.0.beta3.tar.gz. Aborting ***

Do I have to download it manually? (FreeBSD 6.0)

OK, I downloaded myself this and other dovecot files.
SOme glitches with installation, but finally it's working.

truenegative
03-22-2006, 07:56 PM
glad to hear you have it working. I still haven't had a chance to try moving some messages over. I will post back when I am able to test that out :)

LukaszTMM
03-23-2006, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by woyteck
I've got that error wjen running ./build dovecot

root@new# ./build dovecot
Installing dovecot 1.0.beta3 ...
*** Cannot find /usr/local/directadmin/customapache/dovecot-1.0.beta3.tar.gz. Aborting ***

Do I have to download it manually? (FreeBSD 6.0)

OK, I downloaded myself this and other dovecot files.
SOme glitches with installation, but finally it's working.

Yes, i did that and dovecot has been build with only one problem at the end:

cp: cannot stat `/usr/local/directadmin/customapache/dovecot.conf': No such file or directory

Is that normal? Should i ignore this error and continue to next step?

LukaszTMM
03-23-2006, 12:53 AM
Another error:

./build: line 2008: /usr/local/directadmin/customapache/exim.conf.dovecot.patch: No such file or directory

Where i can find those files?

My DA is in version 1.26.3

Regards.

LukaszTMM
03-23-2006, 01:50 AM
Another error:

./build: line 2008: /usr/local/directadmin/customapache/exim.conf.dovecot.patch: No such file or directory

Where i can find those files?

My DA is in version 1.26.3

Regards.

sorry for mess ;-) i find them on files.directadmin.com. poor me ;-) sorry again.

regards.

DirectAdmin Support
03-28-2006, 01:29 PM
Hello,

Here is the "official" guide:
http://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=590

If no bugs are found for the next release of DA, it will be declared stable for the next relelase.

John

koh
03-30-2006, 07:43 PM
it is working great for me, doest have any issue at all :D

rmday
04-11-2006, 01:16 PM
So are all the issues with imap folders and message time/date being changed fixed now for the following way to convert?

./build update
./build update_dovecot
./build dovecot
./build todovecot

Thanks for input.

nobaloney
04-11-2006, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by DirectAdmin Support
If no bugs are found for the next release of DA, it will be declared stable for the next relelase.
John,

I don't know if this is pertinent or not but one DA user has reported continuous problems with both UebiMiau (almost all the time) and with Squirrelmail (from time to time) with timeouts, after you announced Dovecot, even though he hasn't installed the coversion.

Did you make any changes to DA to make the conversion feasible?

Thanks.

Jeff

DirectAdmin Support
04-11-2006, 09:44 PM
It would all depend on what's causing the timeouts..
1) is it just one user, are other affected
2) how large is his inbox (Maildir directory or mbox file).. (not an issue for dovecot, but mbox can be slow with oversized inboxes)
3) is dovecot actually installed? or is this a vm-pop3d install (wasn't sure with your statement "even though he hasn't installed the coversion."

The conversion itself isn't done unless the admin does it. Everything else is essentially the same as it was before.

Nothing with Uebimiau/vm-pop3d and squirrelmail/imap is ever really changed with DA updates, so if he's still using vm-pop3d/uw-imap, then the issue would likely be unrelated to the conversion...

John

nobaloney
04-17-2006, 06:53 PM
We discovered the issue is related to certain emails. When those issues are removed from the inbox everything works; when we put them back nothing works.

There are only a few emails in the inbox (about 15 or 20) so it's not related to size.

We think it might be a header problem.

A server with a later copy of PHP appears to have no problem so perhaps a newer 4.x php will solve the problem.

Jeff