MySQL for bussiness

bvvelzen

Verified User
I heard that when you are giving payed costumers
access to MySQL you need to pay MySQL a small
amount of money so it is legal?

What kind of agreement does DA has with MySQL?

jdwright said:
I think MS-SQL (Microsoft SQL) is like that.

Never used it, never intend to use it although it would not suprise me 1 bit if they did.

bvvelzen said:
I heard that when you are giving payed costumers
access to MySQL you need to pay MySQL a small
amount of money so it is legal?
Earlier versions of MySQL required that if you offered personal services which used MySQL you had to have a commercial MySQL license. Even in those days an ISP specifically did NOT need a MySQL license.

However that changed some time ago when MySQL changed their license model.

To see the license provisions for ISPs offering MySQL to their clients, see:

http://www.mysql.com/products/licensing-examples.html

and look at: ISP MySQL Services
What kind of agreement does DA has with MySQL?
I'll leave that for DirectAdmin folk to respond to.

If the DirectAdmin software is not distributed as open source, and if it depends on MySQL software, then it may require a commercial license for distribution.

Jeff

ProWebUK said:
Never used it, never intend to use it although it would not suprise me 1 bit if they did.
Standard Microsoft EULAs are for use of the licensees only, and not for offering services over the Internet.

Microsoft has special Internet Services Licenses available for all their server products which are required when ISPs and Hosting companies offer services based on Microsoft products on the Internet.

For example, we have a one processor Internet access license for Windows 2003 Webserver Edition. We pay us$10/month for that license. The license doesn't include the media, which we buy separately.

If I recall correctly the license for MS-SQL starts at us$100/processor/month.

Jeff

Re: Re: MySQL for bussiness

jlasman said:
Earlier versions of MySQL required that if you offered personal services which used MySQL you had to have a commercial MySQL license. Even in those days an ISP specifically did NOT need a MySQL license.

However that changed some time ago when MySQL changed their license model.

To see the license provisions for ISPs offering MySQL to their clients, see:

http://www.mysql.com/products/licensing-examples.html

and look at: ISP MySQL Services

I'll leave that for DirectAdmin folk to respond to.

If the DirectAdmin software is not distributed as open source, and if it depends on MySQL software, then it may require a commercial license for distribution.

Jeff

To be 100% honest with you i have never seen that before, some useful information you have there :)

Chris

DirectAdmin is in no way reliant on MySQL.

If DA used MySQL to store user data (etc...), then the licensing would be a whole different issue. "You need a license if you sell a product designed specifically for use with MySQL or that requires the MySQL server to function at all." But this is not the case...

It is distributed as a mere courtesy to users. All control panels do this.

This is not illegal.

loopforever said:
DirectAdmin is in no way reliant on MySQL.
and
It is distributed as a mere courtesy to users. All control panels do this.

This is not illegal.
Nor did I ever imply or mean to imply that it was. I'm sorry if my post caused any confusion.

And as to whether or not the DirectAdmin folk have any agreement with the MySQL folk, I still don't know if they do or not, and I still leave that up to them to answer to if they wish to do so. It doesn't matter to me at all, and it probably shouldn't matter to anyone else.

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

I wasn't directing that specifically towards you, it was more a direct answer to the original author's question. His post almost makes it seem as if Mark and John are doing something illegal by distributing MySQL. I just wanted to clarify that and give him a clear answer. :)

Well,

Somebody of our team asked me how the MySQL thing is been taken care of. And he tought that it maybe is not correct, but I know and I think everybody know's that DA has everything taken care of. But my intension with the question was just to now how it has been taken care of. And I now know that. So I think this tread can be closed. :)

Greetings,

Back