NameServers : main ns's for all resellers?

JoeInShed

Verified User
Hi,

How would I go about setting up (as admin) the main server's name servers, so our resellers could use our nameservers.
In all the examples I have it looked at its how to create name servers if you are a reseller.

I as admin want to create name servers e.g. ns1.ourserver.com and ns2.ourserver.com

then the reseller can use those no?

Any domain can use any of the nameservers on your server to resolve their domain name to your server. So if you have created the main nameservers and registered them with your domain name registrar then your resellers & their clients can use them.

teedee said:
So if you have created the main nameservers

This is exactly the question I am trying to ask, how do I go about creating the main name servers in DA. I know how I'd do it manually, add domain db file in /var/named, edit named.conf and then restart named.

In da it seems the only way i can create nameservers is by using a reseller account... is that the way to do it for the main server (admin) account.. ?

Your resellers can use your current nameserver, and are not required to setup new ones.

If you want to provide resellers with their own nameservers without using additional IP addresses, you can fing a guide on how to do this in DirectAdmin Server checklist :)

Chris

yup, login as admin then open the reseller panel and "nameservers" then create them.

That uses additional IP addresses if i remeber correctly, if you dont wish to use new IP addresses for resellers I suggest the guide listed in the checklist (link in sig or above post) :D

Chris

teedee said:
yup, login as admin then open the reseller panel and "nameservers" then create them.

Yes, I login as admin, click reseller panel (the link down the bottom), click nameservers, where it says "With 2 Selected IP's: "
I have ns1. and ns2. which is fine, but the dropdown where the domain name for the reseller account is, is empty (I suppose because I'm logged in as admin) - so I cant create name servers that way.

ProWebUK please understand i am trying to create the name servers for the main server - not name servers for an individual reseller.

This really cant be that hard, I'm sure its just i'm not explaining myself very well. I know a decent amount about this stuff, I just want to know how its done using DA.

I want to create ns1.myserver.com and ns2.myserver.com
This is not for any reseller in particular. myserver.com is the domain name of the server. (server1.myserver.com is the full hostname of the server).

I dont see why i should have to create a reseller account to do this, I would have thought I could do it directly from the admin control panel - as this shouldnt be specific to a reseller.

I read that, but when i go to create a nameserver with the two select ip's there is no domain name attatched to the reseller account (its not a new reseller account, i just clicked reseller panel at the bottom of the admin area).
attatched image.

Attachments

• nshuh.jpg
    nshuh.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 288
The only domains that will be list there are your domains and your User's domains... If a Reseller you've created creates a domain (or one of HIS users creates a domain) they will not appear there.

Also, remember that the namserver tool just modifies DNS records and the ns1/2 set in the User settings, which can both be modified manually.

John

ok, initial server setup, before you have any clients on the server. you want to setup the nameservers for that server.
the server hostname is server.hostname.com
you want ns1.hostname.com and ns2.hostname.com setup as the servers nameservers.

I should be able to do this without first creating a reseller account no?

Correct, first you'd need to create the domain "hostname.com" under your own admin account. Then go back to your NameServers section and the domain should be there.

Also remember to add the "server" A record in your dns so that your full hostname resolves (or else email wont work so well :))

John

checking nameserver status

Hi, I just installed nameservers and how do I check its validity? I wish to know if nameservers are set correctly and there must be a way to check it out.

Cheers,

Sun Joo

Back