Slackware support?

hosler

Verified User
Anyone get Direct Admin to work on slackware? My VPS provider doesnt support freebsd and slackware is the closest thing to it. Right now im using debian, but I dont know a lot about debian and im too scared to mess around with it since im running a small business with it right now.

FreeBSD and Slackware are similar in layout, but FreeBSD binaries will NOT run on Slackware. (Linux binaries may run on FreeBSD depending on whether or not your FreeBSD install has linux-compatibility installed).

If you need to use this provider and if you can, I'd choose either RHEL or CentOS, as DA was originally written on Red Hat Linux; everything else is a port.

But of course your mileage may vary.

Jeff

The linux binaries might, but it wouldn't be supported by DirectAdmin even if it did. Obtaining a computer that you can use to tinker around with before doing anything on a live server is always a good idea.

DA binaries are almost statically compiled but there are some library dependencies.

And there are a lot of dependencies for deirectory paths and the startup scripts.

Making DA work on Slackware would be a fascinating project.

I'm against it because the more ports DA has, the longer it is between updates and the less likely we'll ever get a new version with the kinds of features we can't get with today's DA.

Jeff

Back