1200 domains on one server ? Is there a FAQ for special parameters ?

nieuwhier

Verified User
Hi All,

I have a server with over 1200 domains on it. Sometimes I run into some problems with limits.

The latest I had was apache stop responding after adding a new domain. Removing the creation of the custom error log was the work-around.

Another problem was the maximum number of users in SSH.

And I had more problems in time.

Is there a FAQ or a need-to-know document where all those things are described so that I can solve the problems before occuring ;-)

Who else runs lots of domains on one server ?

Hope to hear from you.
regards,
Michel.

Q: What if all these problems appears when i got 1200 customers on my server?
A: maybe buy a new server

sorry for being sarcastic on my 2nd post :p but i dont think it is too early to get a second server :p

You mean you don't have any idea on this subject ?

Of course is buying new servers a solution but we would rather buy new servers based on the load criteria than based on the number of domains.

The example I am talking about is a server with nearly any load or use of diskspace but only with a lot of domains.

Adding hardware to solve potential problems is always so simple...

So your problem is alot of these domains are dorment hence not using resources but their is errors been generated because of the amount.

To answer the question ...

There is no specific DA faq for running a large number of domains on a server, but except for the problem with a large number of error logs being held open (search these forums) DA really shouldn't care.

You might want to ask on a general apache forum, or do some googling; lots has been written about hosting a large number of domains.

Jeff

btw 1200 domains does certainly not mean 1200 customers. Lots and lots of sleeping domains.

Thx jeff.

The thing I notice with DA is that when extra domains are added to that server is that the CPU goes bananas to about 70% and that the http service is unreachable for som time.

That must be the restarting/reloading of the service. Add that point you miss the functionality to add multiple domains/accounts in one statement/batch with DA(we use the API).

to solve that restart problem edit the sleep in rc.d script to a higher value which I done. It occurs because it doesnt wait long enough for processes to be killed and then keeps hammering them causing high load.

Back