Imap, Squirrelmail and Outlook Express

netmotiv8

Verified User
I have setup Outlook Express 6 to match SquirrelMail settings, but Outlook Express is only showing 'Inbox'. Outlook Express does not support setting special folders to INBOX.Sent & INBOX.Drafts, so the prefix has to be used.

any suggestions? I have attached a screenshot from OE 6

Cheers

Neil
:D

Attachments

• imap.jpeg
    imap.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 682
if no prefix is used then Outlook Express will create a new "Sent" folder & use that rather than using "INBOX.Sent" the same as webmail does.

I think this is a bug with the current imap setup and therefore please can it be fixed. We dont wish to offer this to our clients until it functions properly.

Thanks

Neil

The problem is actually with squirrelmail, the INBOX.Sent is a cyrus imap setting if I am correct. I had to change squirrelmail's config for the following settings:
Code:
$default_folder_prefix = 'mail/';
$trash_folder = 'Trash';
$sent_folder  = 'Sent';
$draft_folder = 'Drafts';
Then all you need to set in Outlook express is the root path to be 'mail/'.

The real problem was trying to copy squirrelmail, when that had not been tuned for the version of imap that is installed with DA.

You may also have to go into your account you were testing imap with and either remove the .mailboxlist or edit it to reflect the new settings. Here is what mine looks like:
Code:
mail/Sent
mail/Trash
mail/Drafts
mail/saved
INBOX
mail/Sent Items

Hi,

Imap seems to working ok for us now. However we cant create sub-folders in Outlook Express? Is there a reason for this?

Thanks

Neil

subfolder

I don't see how that link clarifies why subfolders are disabled by default, they are perfectly possible with UW.

Tristan

Hello,

The reason that they are only one file is because it's using the mbox format instead of the Maildir format. All emails are in the one file.

John

so....

Yeah I read that myself as well, but the format of the files don't have anything to do with folder layout, it's only the format of the mail files itself, maildir has one file for each email whereas mbox will have one file for each folder.

Tristan

Yeah... that thread doesn't really have anything to do with the question.

I think the answer is that under UW-IMAP, folders can either contain messages or folders, but not both. So, you have to create root folders, you cant' create a folder in your Inbox (since that holds messages).

Of course, I could be totally wrong... I haven't used UW-IMAP or Outlook Express for a couple of years... :)

toml said:
The problem is actually with squirrelmail, the INBOX.Sent is a cyrus imap setting if I am correct. I had to change squirrelmail's config for the following settings:
Code:
$default_folder_prefix = 'mail/';
$trash_folder = 'Trash';
$sent_folder  = 'Sent';
$draft_folder = 'Drafts';
Then all you need to set in Outlook express is the root path to be 'mail/'.

The real problem was trying to copy squirrelmail, when that had not been tuned for the version of imap that is installed with DA.

You may also have to go into your account you were testing imap with and either remove the .mailboxlist or edit it to reflect the new settings. Here is what mine looks like:
Code:
mail/Sent
mail/Trash
mail/Drafts
mail/saved
INBOX
mail/Sent Items

Thanks for that, it jogged my memory. All fixed now :D

Neil.

Back