Weird piping problem

UltimeWWW

Verified User
Hi guys,

We have a weird problem here. When someone send an email @ our piping address, it seems to do the piping twice:

2003-12-01 20:54:12 1AQzjw-0001zK-G1 => cbeliveau <[email protected]> R=virtual_user T=virtual_localdelivery
2003-12-01 20:54:12 1AQzjw-0001zK-G1 Completed
2003-12-01 20:54:12 1AQzjv-0001zE-SA => |/usr/local/bin/php /home/admin/domains/ultimeweb.net/public_html/esupport/admin/pop3pipe.php ([email protected]) <[email protected]> R=virtual_aliases T=virtual_address_pipe
2003-12-01 20:54:12 1AQzjv-0001zE-SA => |/usr/local/bin/php /home/admin/domains/ultimeweb.net/public_html/esupport/admin/pop3pipe.php ([email protected]) <[email protected]> R=virtual_aliases_nostar T=virtual_address_pipe
2003-12-01 20:54:12 1AQzjv-0001zE-SA Completed

What can be the problem? :)

Hello,

It's being caught by two Directors:

virtual_aliases
virtual_aliases_nostar

You could try removing the "unseen" line from the virtual_aliases_nostar Director in the /etc/exim.conf, so that exim will stop when it finds the correct line. Note that I havn't tested that so it might take out a portion of a feature, like not saving the email for an autoreply..etc.

It could also be something with the return value of the script.. If it doesn't return 0, exim might think it's failed, so will keep trying other means.

John

Did you restart exim? Perhaps provide some more info on the problem, such as your current setup and any log messages that might be helpful.

John

I have got mailscanner....
and i don't know where to check the logfiles...

Tell me :p

The logs is /var/log/exim/mainlog.

Just let us know how you're /etc/virtual/domain.com/aliases file is setup.

John

You could try removing the "unseen" line from the virtual_aliases_nostar Director in the /etc/exim.conf, so that exim will stop when it finds the correct line. Note that I havn't tested that so it might take out a portion of a feature, like not saving the email for an autoreply..etc.

I did this and it did solve the problem - piping now working perfectly - I'm a little concerned however, is this likely to hurt anything or cause problems with users emails?

Thanks for any suggestions!

If you take out the "unseen", then exim will presume it's finished with the delivery and will not try any other directors for that email.

Jeff

also i'm reading through cpanel's exim.conf and trying to figure out how they have it setup.

maybe this:

has_alias_but_no_mailbox_discarded_to_prevent_loop:
driver = redirect
condition = "${perl{checkvalias}{$domain}{$local_part}}"
domains = lsearch;/etc/localdomains
data="#Exim Filter\nseen finish"
group = "${lookup{$domain}lsearch* {/etc/userdomains}{$value}}"
user = "${lookup{$domain}lsearch* {/etc/userdomains}{$value}}"
allow_filter
disable_logging = true

vandal said:
what does that mean jeff?
I was responding to webone's concerns.

Depending on what does or doesn't come after the director in question, it may or may not affect other delivery.

Jeff

So, would you consider this procedure is correct and safe?

jlasman said:
If you take out the "unseen", then exim will presume it's finished with the delivery and will not try any other directors for that email.

Jeff

I removed such line and now the sender does not receive the email confirmation message, the one that starts with "Your email has been delivered..."

This is a problem with Kayako parser...

If you remove the unseen part, some forwarders may not work...

BTW I have also Cerberus Helpdesk
configured in the same server and the
duplication of tickets problem, does not happen

Hello,

In the "virtual_aliases:" director, try setting the data line as follows:
Code:
data = ${if exists{/etc/virtual/$domain/aliases}{${lookup{*}lsearch{/etc/virtual/$domain/aliases}}}}
The change basically looks for only the * vs the previous "lookup with * as the fail".

John

DirectAdmin Support said:
Hello,

In the "virtual_aliases:" director, try setting the data line as follows:
Code:
data = ${if exists{/etc/virtual/$domain/aliases}{${lookup{*}lsearch{/etc/virtual/$domain/aliases}}}}
The change basically looks for only the * vs the previous "lookup with * as the fail".

John

That solved the duplicates problem, but introduced a new one:
e-mails sent to forwarders generate bounce mail (Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender). Please advise.

Thank you.

Back