/etc/make.conf

DamnSkippy

Verified User
The last time I used Linux was Red Hat V4 so forgive me. I installed CentOS4.3 in a virtual machine on my workstation so I can play with it.

I BSD we do a lot of compiling of applications and in fact the entire operating system at times. From what I can gather that is not so common under Linux and most things are installed with RPM packages. Much like using packages in BSD rather than ports I guess.

Yum is easy to use so far but to be honest I hate using pre made packages and prefer to compile things to optimize it for the hardware.

However it does seem that DA does do some compiling with it's custom apache. So I would like to make sure that things I do compile are optimized for the hardware.

In BSD I would add my options to /etc/make.conf and they would be global for everything I compile. That way I do not have to edit makefiles etc to add my options each time. I looked through the CentOS docs (can we get a pdf or something?) and do not find any reference to using a global make.conf. A google search did not answer the question either but some things I found did refer to it but it was talking about gentoo.

So can I use a /etc/make.conf to set global compiler options? If so are there any that cause issues with DA? Should I exclude any apps from being compiled? This is something I do on all my hsphere boxes because if you compile some apps as a dependency for something else (such as perl, sendmail or bind) you can break hsphere or at least cause yourself some more work.

If it can be done are any of you doing it?

Thanks

Back