Free Memory - CentOS 4.3

JdS

Verified User
Hello,

Recently, I picked up one of servertweak.com's offer of a dedicated server. 1 GB RAM was offered (in case you skip going through to that link).

Running the `top` command, I find this:

Code:
Mem: 970780k total, 234876k used, 735904k free, 572k buffers
Swap: 1020116k total, 139168k used, 880948k free, 13668k cached

My 2 questions:

1. Is it possible that the RAM is actually 1 GB but is being reported at just 970,780 Kbytes?

2. I have never seen a Linux server with so much FREE memory -- 735,904 Kbytes. Swap memory is being used and grows over the course of the day, while the free memory remains steady at slightly over 700MB. Been like that for days now... What could be the cause of it and I will appreciate any suggestions.

I have asked my host these questions and they replied that:
  1. It is 1 GB
  2. It's not a problem (paraphrased).

More details can be found here: http://www.gidforums.com/t-9432.html

Thank you for reading.

The first issue is possibly not a problem; the server no doubt is using a bit of shared memory for the (perhaps onboard) video adapter.

The second issue is a problem to the extent it was reported on the other forum in your link.

And together the two issues could indicate bad physical memory.

But nothing in your top output indicates that.

I would ask your provider to swap out memory.

They should be willing to do that.

I'd also ask on a good linux list. Not a forum; unfortunately most of the really good kernel people don't read forums.

Jeff

Hey Jeff, do you know a good one you can pint me to so I can join and lerk? Mainly interested in RHEL but it does not have to be specific if it is a good list.

Thanks

Thank you Jeff for looking at this thread and for making an effort to reply -- I appreciate it.

Servertweak has placed an order to replace the stick of RAM and I am just waiting for the change to happen.

jlasman said:
But nothing in your top output indicdates that...

However, now I am simply curious... you really don't think there's anything wrong with the fact that I have so much free memory left and my swap memory is being used instead?

I admit I don't know too much about Linux but I have used it in one form or another for years and this is the first time I see such a thing.

I would say wait till the RAM is replaced and see what your swap does then. But if it is still doing the same thing then I think something is wrong. I can not tell you what unfortunately though.

JdS, No, nothing in top indicates anything about bad memory; generally bad memory isn't seen by top at all.

DamnSkippy,

Because I'm an alumnus of the University of Florida I tend to use their linux list quite a bit; it's very good at answering specific questions, but I don't know if lurking there will help you or not.

To join the list at any time sending SIGNON LINUX-L in the body of an email to [email protected]. In fact, put it in the subject too, in case I'm remembering wrong :) .

(You don't have to be affiliated with the University to join or use the list; you just have to be friendly and polite.)

One of the more helpful people on that list is the administrator of a major Florida ISP; he can be very helpful :) . A former member is one of the people who works on the Linux kernel. Unfortunately he's no longer using the list but his answers in the archives can be very helpful. He's even written a few books on the Linux Kernel, look here.

Another good list (though not as active as it once was) is the ISP-Linux list. To Join any of the ISP mailing lists, look here.

Jeff

Back