Deleting old apache logs

Rebel

Basically there is no option to delete the apache log files from the server in the DA control panel, and to make matters worse I cannot even do this via my FTP package :(

Does anyone know just how these files can be deleted? Since to be honest they are not needed (by us anyway) and when I want to do a full site backup, they add a great deal to the size of the backup.

Many thanks

Hello,

They are owned by root so you'd need to talk to your host to get them removed. That's the simple answer to your question, but we can open up a discussion on possible changes that would work for the future... ie: change the ownership of the logs to the owner of the account. The thing with is that it would be included in your account quota, but you could delete them. Another point is that because they are owned by root, the admin can rely on them as being accurate and untampered with in case they need to go through the logs for something. Let me know what you guys think, changing the ownership might be the way to go.

John

Thanks for the reply John, from my personal point of view, I would like to be able to delete them, since it would dramatically reduce the size of my download when doing a full site backup, however I can see your reasons for having ownership left in the root.

Basically I guess the best solution might well be to see what others think of the situation, since if this isn't a problem for them, and I am in the minority, it would be unfair to change things just to suit me.

I guess this is the problem with doing backups all the time:D as I like to do a full backup at least once or twice a month, and database backups daily, that way I know in an emergency I can allways recover.

Many thanks for your assistance

I would suggest checking with your host that they also have logrotate to compress daily and keep for 2 weeks. I find that to be the way that works best for log rotation.

Chris

It would be a nice option to be able to exclude certain directories (log dir) from being backed up when scheduling full site backups. That way the log files don't increase the backup size. Everybody happy :D !

Back