License bound to linux version?

Aspegic

Verified User
I know that the DA license is bound to a linux version but I had always assumed it was only for say redhat type distros (e.g. RHEL, CentOS, Fedora) or BSD type distros (OpenBSD, FreeBSD).

After searching a bit I found a few posts that suggest that the license is more specific than that. Meaning it is for example bound to Fedora Core 2 specifically, not Fedora in general, meaning a FC2 license would not run on FC3 for example.

Is this true?

I want to buy another lifetime license for testing purposes but I want to be able to run it with different versions of Fedora and CentOS. If the license is bound to one specific version I wont be able to test with the other os's.

Is it possible to buy a license that will run with all redhat type distros?

Different versions of DA, for different Linux distributions, include different software.

The changes are not major, but they're important enough so that DA won't install unless your Linux distribution is reporting itself as what DA expects.

While you can make a simple change to the /etc/redhat-release file, doing so will simply allow a DA installation that may not work.

Jeff

Thanks for clearing that up!

One thing I noticed when looking at the setup script is that one of the first thing it does is find out what linux it's running on and download the corresponding archives from the da website, so I assume it will install the correct version which lateron may turn out not to correspond to the version in the license.

I read in some other thread that someone had problems after upgrading FC2 to FC3 and all that was required to solve that problem was changing the license. I assume (but don't know for sure) that this only involves a change to the license.key file?

So I was thinking, suppose I start out with a FC2 license. After a week of testing I ask da support to change the license to FC3 and test that for a week. After another week FC4 and one week later FC5.
After I've done all these tests suppose I decide I want to go with FC3. Could I simply use the FC3 license I got two weeks earlier or would I have to ask them to change the license once more back to FC3?

Or how else can I do these test (except for buying 4 different licenses...)?

(Sorry about this, I don't want to be a pain in the b*t with this question, I just want to know if there is some way I can test out DA with different distros before making a final decision.)

Last edited:
You should ask your specific questions of DA support.

I know that in some cases the wrong license works, in some cases it doesn't.

I recently had the problem on one of our servers; our license was issued for CentOS3 and we rebuilt the server as CentOS4 and didn't notice.

It worked after a bit of tweaking, but we contacted DA sales, and they reissued the license. We reinstalled the license and now everything works.

Jeff

Back