Thawte SSL Certificates

Would you pay $40 for a Thawte SSL Certificate?

• Yes

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

jtouchet

Verified User
Hey guys, I have a question.

Would you pay $40 for a Thawte SSL123 (non-chained) certificate?

They are normally $149 a year at Thawte.

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:
jtouchet said:
Hey guys, I have a question. Since I run DA on my server and am kinda sorta active on the forums, I hope this isn't considered as Spam.
According to official Forum rules the thread does qualify as spam. In order to not qualify as Spam your thread would have to not mention at all that you were thinking of lowering your prices, but simply ask if the respondent would purchase the cert for $40.
We are lowering our prices for SSL certificates on Monday and would like to get some feedback on what everyone thinks.

The certificates are Thawte SSL-123 (non-chained, domain verification only).

We are lowering to $40 a year. They are priced at $149 a year at Thawte.com.
As you point out they're non-chained (single-root) Certificates with domain verification. Similar Certificates are available from lots of vendors for less. Including us (see our post here).
Do you think this is a good price?
I think it's a good price for a Thawte branded Certificate. I think most readers on this forum don't care about the brand name on their Certificate (or even whether or not it's a single-root Certificate), as much as they do about price; lots of readers here by GoDaddy Certificates, because they're the cheapest.

While we choose to sell single-root Certificates for ease of installation across platforms, DirectAdmin makes it extremely easy to install a multiple-root Certificate, and there's no real disadvantage to them. In fact Verisign's most expensive Certificates are multiple-root Certificates.
Would you buy one or more to resell at this price?
No, because we pay less now ;) .

Jeff

jls,

You have a point....But you do pay for what you get...

I have seen people that have had trouble in the past with RapidSSL from other providers.(which is what you listed on your post that you sent me to.)

Not to mention that you are selling them at $5 less than we are (I could easily do that.

Once again, this post was just to get information. Obviously, I know there are organizations (such as yourself) that are already buying in bulk that this isn't of interest.

However, I don't appreciate the comment about 3 posts. I am a licensed DA user (I paid my fees just like everyone else that runs it.)

Last edited:
jtouchet said:
You have a point....But you do pay for what you get...
Absolutely.
I have seen people that have had trouble in the past with RapidSSL (which is what you listed on your post that you sent me to.)
I bet you've never seen anyone with a RapidSSL Certificate ordered from us who has reported a problem. Our installations include reinstallations as required during the life of the Certificate, even if the purchaser loses the private key. Unless you can post anything specific, that's just FUD and if you don't know how I feel about FUD, please feel free to search these forums for my previous posts on the subject.
Not to mention that you are selling them at $5 less than we are (I could easily do that :)
If you do we will neither care, nor try to undercut you. I hate price competition.
Once again, this post was just to get information. Obviously, I know there are organizations (such as yourself) that are already buying in bulk that this isn't of interest.
You created the poll; all I did was respond to it. Did you mean to exclude certain people from responding? Nevertheless, I've edited the poll to remove my vote.
However, I don't appreciate the comment about 3 posts. I am a licensed DA user (I paid my fees just like everyone else that runs it.)
But your claim was that you're
kinda sorta active on the forums
and that's what I was responding to. Nevertheless, I've edited my response. Anyone who wants to know just how active you are on the forum can certainly see for him/herself how many posts you've made.

Jeff

Jeff,

I appreciate your professional response.

I will correct my statement regarding RapidSSL problems. It does depend on the company that issues it and how they handle their customer service and support. I'm sure you guys do a great job.

As far as price competetion, that was never my intention. We have 2 totally different markets. I was just pointing out the price difference. Please don't take me the wrong way on that.

I have also edited my initial post to comply with the rules of the forum.

Once again, though, I really do appreciate your professionalism in this matter.

And honestly, thank you for your feedback.

Last edited:
Back