Squirrelmail weirdness

keefe007

Verified User
I've noticed a few odd things happending in squirrelmail after the dovecot convert. These aren't major issues, but its annoying enought to be fixed.

1) After viewing an unread message and hitting "back" the message won't show as unread.

or sometimes

2) After viewing an unread message and hitting "back" the wrong message is changed from unread to read. Generally this happens to one message before it.

Note: I *think* this only happens on pages greater than 1 in squrrelmail.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Keefe

Last edited:
I've experienced the same issues with squirrelmail without Dovecot.

I think it's a browser issue, because reloading the page after using the back button fixes it.

Jeff

Hmm, I still think its definitely not a browser issue. I've done extensive testing with both Firefox and IE and the problem only occurs on my DA server. I did assume it was a problem with Dovecot, but if you've seen it with the old IMAP as well it must be related to something else.

The servers where it works fine are running postfix and courier, apache1x, and php4.

Both the servers and work and the DA server run the newest squirrelmail - 1.4.6

Has anyone else experienced and/or not experienced this and what is your config?

Last edited:
The friendly guys over on the squirrelmail mailing list think dovecot is the problem:

"Dovecot 1.0 alpha versions return invalid responses to UID STORE commands.
When SquirrelMail marks message as read, scripts issue UID STORE command.
Please upgrade. If you want more detailed explanation - search dovecot mailing list."

They also suggest "to turn off globals in SquirrelMail installation."

Keefe

jlasman said:
I've experienced the same issues with squirrelmail without Dovecot.

I think it's a browser issue, because reloading the page after using the back button fixes it.

Jeff

What imap server are you using on the box that it happens on?

Do you have and imap account and webmail I could test with?

I've been talking to the people over on the squirrelmail mailing list and apparently this is not the intended behavior.

I've updated to the newest dovecot which is beta7 and also disabled register_gloabls and the issue is still here.

Keefe

Just to test something else I installed Squirrelmail 1.5.1 and noticed this problem does not occur. I'm going to give up on troubleshooting the problem with Squirrelmail 1.4.x because 1.5.x is absolutely amazing. Javascript highligh rollovers, message icons, and best of all - its FAST. Everything from just clicking from page to page, to the initial login, to deleting tons of messages - its just faster. The load on the server is also way less. I did a comparison deleting 100 messages from my 1.4.6 and the 1.5.1 install and the 1.4.6 install used 39% CPU while the 1.5.1 install used 4.5% CPU. I'll be upgrading all of my squirrelmail installs soon.

Keefe

Keefe,

The problem was on one account which has since been moved to another server, where it works properly.

I no longer think the problems are related.

Jeff

Back