Localhost/Demo license

gcypher

Verified User
Hi,

I have been using DA for alomost a year about now. I wonder if there is a possibility to retrieve some sort of demo or localhost licensed version for use with my testserver which i plan to create onto my laptop (vmware).
This so i can develop my server and put it to test first.

Thanks in advance

This would be, perhaps, difficult to create, but I'd like it :).

At the moment we install a server on our lan, drive to the datacenter, put in the server, and go back to the office to configure it. I'd really like to be able to install DA before I bring the server away.

That way I can actually test and configure it before the hardware becomes unreachable ;).

So a demo license that will work for 1 user and can be upgraded to a real license would be great for us.
Both for testing and deploying new servers.

Icheb said:
At the moment we install a server on our lan, drive to the datacenter, put in the server, and go back to the office to configure it.

Check KVM/IP solutions ;)

Explain how this helps.

Or do you mean if you get the network configuration wrong?

We solve that problem by having a private network on eth1. So we can always log in.

Jeff

Webcart said:
Check KVM/IP solutions ;)
Yeah, nice solutions, but it will require just a bit too much money to realise.

We solve that problem by having a private network on eth1. So we can always log in.
We usually tripple check network configs (and do test reboot) when placing a new server, but this is something that could work.

But still, it's just a bit off topic.

I guess John is strategically ignoring this thread ;).

Icheb said:
Yeah, nice solutions, but it will require just a bit too much money to realise.

Well, it's not really that expensive these days, especially if you consider the time you pay someone for for having to drive to the datacenter and back.
But I guess it also depends on the number of servers.

jlasman said:
Explain how this helps.

Jeff

KVM/IP allows making OS installs from the office when the server is physically located in the datacenter.
When you order a new server, rather than shipping it to the office for installation and then moving it to the datacenter, you can just ship it to the datacenter and make the installation remotely.

Private network might come as handy for running NFS, private mirrors or off-server backups that don't count against your bandwidth quota, but is absolutely useless when you lock yourself out with the bad firewall rules, have an unsuccessful kernel update, need to drop to single mode for some reason or enter the BIOS of RAID controller - just to name a few.

WC, there are lots of reasons to have KVM/IP, but we don't really see a need for them in our environment, so we don't use them.

There's nothing better than full-time onsite staff at the data center; we have what we call LRSA (local redundant staff availability). :)

Jeff

jlasman said:
WC, there are lots of reasons to have KVM/IP, but we don't really see a need for them in our environment, so we don't use them.

There's nothing better than full-time onsite staff at the data center; we have what we call LRSA (local redundant staff availability). :)

Jeff

Jeff, it's really great you have onsite staff, but this thread isn't about your environment, is it? :)

No, it's about demo licenses.

But it's somehow gotten offtrack. A localhost demo license wouldn't solve the problem under discussion either.

And I didn't say we've got onside staff; we don't.

LRSA simply means we have a few people who are nearby the data center to supply coverage if necessary.

Jeff

I do think the localhost license could be very usefull, btw.
If we have to make a major upgrade, we just get a new box with a clean install and transfer the clients over, but some DA users might not have this kind of luxury.

Hello,

I'd just like to point out that we can't provide any 192.168.x.x or 10.0.0.x type licenses for our own security reasons and how our licensing system works. If one client were to order one of those licenses, then he can copy it and give it to all his friends for their own internal network servers. This is because our system has no call-back for ensuring the license is valid. We've opted not to put everyones server in reliance on one of our liecensing servers.. such that if our licensing server dies, so does everyones copy of DA. We'd rather keep it simple and make sure that your boxes are running without the need for any external sources.

Also, with the current licensing system, you can't download the license or binaries unless the connecting IP matches the IP in your license. A LAN IP will not work over the internet.. .eg: you'd never be connecting to our server with 192.168.0.1 ;)

If such a callback system were setup, then it would be able to open the door for LAN setups of DA.. but it's not available at the moment and would require us to get at least 3 licensing servers for reliability/redundancy, etc..

John

yeah, just keep it simple is good enough. being used DA for 3 years, i like it most compared with plesk and cpanel.

i can easily maintain my DA servers up a year, no reboot! but that never works on my plesk server, it just breaks everywhere whenever there is an update...

However, i also hope we could have the option to install and test DA installatioin at home or office before sending out the server. (plesk allows that, i understand their licensing method is diff.)

Back