Bizarre logs problem

thoroughfare

Verified User
Hi guys,

I've got a weird issue on my FreeBSD 6.0 box. Log files are present in compressed form, but not uncompressed:

e.g. 'messages.0.bz2' but no sign of 'messages'

...from the dates, it looks as though no new logs are being created. Any ideas?

Many thanks,
Matt

newsyslog does the log rotation, it is supposed to generate the new files as to why it isnt I dont know.

Confirm newsyslog even runs.

If its running then check if it is able to create new files and nothing might be blocking it.

I would be interested to know if the .0 files are out of date as it makes no sense that it can archive a non existant file.

Hi Chrysalis,

Thanks for your reply. It seems that syslogd is running, but not newsyslogd:

Code:
#ps aux | grep syslog
root      460  0.0  0.0  1296   620  ??  Ss   Sat02AM   0:04.58 /usr/sbin/syslogd -ss

I've tried /etc/rc.d/newsyslog restart with no luck. Isn't newsyslogd part of the base system? If so, why is syslogd in their as well?

The .0 files are about 3 days old - when I upgraded to 6.0

Matt

newsyslog is ran at intervals via the crontab, check if its in /etc/crontab it isnt a daemon that stays running.

Hi Chrysalis,

I thought newsyslogd was a drop-in replacement for syslogd? Or is syslogd that does the system logging, then newsyslog rotates it?

It's in /etc/crontab to run every hour. When I run
Code:
newsyslog -v
I get stuff like:

/var/log/messages <5J>: does not exist, skipped.

Would that be a problem with syslogd?

Many thanks,
Matt

I fixed it; just had to recreate the missing log files and it seems to be working ok after a restart. Can someone post a directory listing for /var/log on FreeBSD with DA so I can check my permissions aren't too strict?

Many thanks,
Matt

Back