External Mailserver/ MX Record Issues

DigitalMinds

Verified User
What is the best solution to setup a hosted clients that has their own mailserver? Changing the MX record to their mailserver works fine for telling the rest of the world where the email should be sent. However, if any DirectAdmin hosted client emails thru the DA server to the other DirectAdmin hosted client (with the external mailserver) the email will get bounced as unknown user.

The short term work around is to add forwarders for each of the remote user email addresses to the A record listed in the DirectAdmin DNS. This really stinks having to do this.

I know there has to be a simple solution.

Thanks is advance,

Michael Bush
Digital Minds Intl

Same problem but I do not have server access to do what you said (no SSH).

Is there another way to accomplish this? I have not tried it yet but I plan on using a formail or sendmail script but I am sure it will get bounced also.

Hello,

Not really, no. I've added a small feature to the versions system which will enable you to do this from the MX records page. Should be available with 1.20.6

John

Hello, I'm wondering if I'm doing this right.

First I changed my webhost, it is controlled by directadmin and to tell the truth ; whoever created this program has done an amazing job. This is almost perfect as possible.

You might know everyone.net (probably the most popular web-mail service for web sites) ; it asks me to change MX settings.

Exact line is

galatasaray.tc. IN MX 0 sitemail.everyone.net.

How should I apply it to the MX page ? I should enter sitemail.everyone.net and 0 as Mx record and that will be ok ? Or something else ?

Because it is not working currently.

Thank you so much for your help.

Kind regards;
Idan

Hello,

I did a MX lookup on galatasaray.tc and got this:
Code:
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;galatasaray.tc.                        IN      MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
galatasaray.tc.         14400   IN      MX      0 sitemail.everyone.net.galatasaray.tc.
Which means that there is a dot missing at the end of "sitemail.eveyone.net." in the MX record.

John

Back