Web DAV, SAMBA?

justahost

Verified User
Morning.

Hope this is the right forum for this question!

I am looking to get a setup on my DA server that would allow people to map drives to it from their PC at home as a 'drive' so they could put files up as if it was a local disk.

My questions are:

1. What is the best way - webDAV (think thats right) or Samba? This is on a hosting server so which one would be best?

2. How easy is the answer to 1 above to install?

Cheers
Ry

WebDav likes Apache 2.0 very much, so that's a downside if you're hosting with Apache 1.3.

However, Samba does not have SSL/encryption features. So I'd recommend WebDav.

Note, MS Internet Explorer also supports FTP. Ok, granted, it's a poor implementation, but it does work...

So, before searching on how to set it up, I'd recommend finding out what exactly you want.

Cheers for that.

What I am after is setting up small directories on the server which the user can map a network drive from, say, their Windows machine at home.

It allows them to have an extra drive on their machine that can be used as a backup drive for important files.

Does that make the choice any easier?

Cheers
Ry

I want to do the exact same thing. And have the same question:

Will webdav allow you to mount a drive on a remote windows machine and use SSL? Or is it browser drag and drop only?

Would anyone recommend samba with some kind of secure tunnel instead?

The key is:
- encrypted login
- allow the drive to be mounted
- traffic encrypted
-ALL controlled through DirectAdmin

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but:

- Is there a "best" way of allowing users on a windows box to map a network drive?

I'd like to allow certain customers the extra little feature of being able to back up files easily (without using FTP).

Good edit. Thanks for the link to webdav, I was aware of it, and of course I made searches on the forum before posting and nothing came up. Are you aware of something I missed?

Back