PDA

View Full Version : /bin/sh links to /bin/bash CentOS4

DamnSkippy
06-23-2006, 10:42 AM
I am trying to compile rrdtools and it errors out saying bash: ./configure: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied

/bin/sh is listed in /etc/shells but in checking /bin/sh is a link to /bin/bash and this seems to be messing with the build script.

If I try to cd /bin/sh I get /bin/sh: Not a directory

This is my first Linux box (CentOS 4.3) in a long time, is this normal?

chatwizrd
06-23-2006, 11:02 AM
Make sure that /bin/bash can be executed by the user running the script. Make sure you are installing the program under the "root" user.

/bin/bash should have permissions 755 on it.

If it is not you can change with the command:

chmod 755 /bin/bash

DamnSkippy
06-23-2006, 11:08 AM
Yeah I am logged in as root, actually I logged in as my SSH user (I only allow 1 user SSH access to the server) and did su to root. But that should not matter in this case should it?

/bin/bash is/was 755

chatwizrd
06-23-2006, 11:11 AM
Please login to http://chat.directadmin.com and I will help you fix it.

chatwizrd
06-23-2006, 03:45 PM
Well never saw you on the chat site... Since it gave you permission denied I was guessing that the permissions of bash were wrong.

What version of rrdtools are you using? I would like to try to duplicate this error.

Sometimes what I do when I get "bad interpreter" errors is I open up the file place any letter in the beginning then delete the letter and resave the file. This may help to get it to work again.

DamnSkippy
06-23-2006, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the offer to help chatwizrd, I just got back to this thread so I was not ignoring you.

It was version 1.2.13 of rrdtools and I was following these instructions http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/doc/rrdbuild.en.html

Seemed simple enough as I am used to compiling stuff from source in BSD. But did not get very far as it will not configure. It is strange that I can not even cd /bin/sh as it seems it should send me to /bin/bash. The link seems correct and all, maybe I will recreate it. So I take it this is a normal thing as far as the links because I found a couple others.

Is bash that close to sh that any script written for sh can be run in bash?

nobaloney
06-26-2006, 06:07 PM
You can't cd to /bin/sh because sh isn't a directory, and you can't cd to a file.

Jeff