Switched to Dovecot

Have you experienced problems converting to DA's Dovecot?

• No, it went smoothly

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Yes, I experienced a few critical issues

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • I converted to Dovecot prior to latest version, and experienced problems which have not yet been fix

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I converted to Dovecot prior to latest version, and didn't experience any problems

Votes: 14 56.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

torp

Verified User
How many have switched to Dovecot since the last stable version, and have experienced no problems? I am not interested in any problems prior to the latest Dovecot beta9 and latest Directadmin. I am also only interested in those who have converted an existing mailserver to use Dovecot, using DA's conversion scripts.

Please tick this poll. If you have recently converted and experienced issues, please briefly state your problem in this thread. If succesful, simply leave a vote.

I'm simply trying to assess whether it's safe to upgrade - i.e. how many have successfuly done so. I frequently see questions about this in the forum as well, so a central spot for leaving your vote after a successful upgrade would be a good pointer.

Thanks!

It is still beta , when it ever comes stable then i will think it over off using it. I will never use a beta product on production servers. That are my thoughts.

It is much more stable then the old format. I have had no problems with it at all yet.

The biggest issue is an obvious one but still a problem. Moving accounts from one server to another in DA used to be a breeze even if you were a reseller only. Now if you move from a server running UW-IMAP to one running Dovecot the conversion is a one way process. Try to restore a backup from a Dovecot box to a UW-IMAP box that has active IMAP accounts... result - no email.
Why not upgrade all your servers in one go? Well what happens if you have a mix of dedicated servers and reseller accounts on other servers like me? The option to move accounts between servers just got a whole lot more complicated. Dovecot may perform better but it's given me a whole shelf of headaches that I don't need. Which of you out there reselling accounts, are openly advertising your builds as either Dovecot or UW-IMAP because that is what you need to do if you don't want cancellations.

dovecot using mbox format

Which is another good reason to let dovecot be used but still use the mbox format. Since Dovecot support this , I think the upgrade to dovecot and the changing of formats should be seperated. I want Dovecot but without Maildir

You guys have any how-to or something to switch to Dovecot?

Edit: Oops, looks like this was a age old thread, found it on Google and replied. Sorry!

Last edited:
Back