Feature Requests

razorblue

Verified User
Hi,

After some discussion on the ProWebSpace forums - we have decided that we would like the following features for future versions of DA:

- The ability for resellers to be able to create subresellers, and sub-resellers to be able to create sub-subresellers, etc. Providing the "admin" user turns this feature on and the reseller enables the option that allows resellers to create sub-resellers. Im not aware of this being offered in any 3rd party panel which would set DA apart from the rest.

Also - a web builder with templates that allows users to build and edit websites using a web based interface like tripod, etc. I know this is a complicated thing to do - but it broadens the market we can sell our products to - thus making DA more popular.

Auto-Install scripts such as those seen in cpanel. (forum, argora cart, etc).

These are all major features and will take time to develop - however I feel that it would be beneficial for DA as it widens the market.

Dan

We're having a discussion about pre-installed scripts in our forums right now ironically. Some valid points that were brought up:

A- {my company} already has a terrific selling poiint with the services/price they do offer

B- There is no way {my company} would get away with automating an install for a web-app and then claiming to NOT support it

C- What is this with web-peeps not wanting to do anything for themselves, but still wanting a fully dynamic and interactive website...come on now, if you don't want to put forth the simple effort of installing these things, why should you reap the reward of having them?

The internet has truly made people lazy and to feel everything should be free...

Installing most of these scripts is VERY simple with very basic knowledge, and that is knowledge that anyone actually running a website should have...or, they shouldn't run a website.

and

Maybe a compromise would be to have detailed instructions for the inexperienced "web peeps" to install said packages. These instructions or how-to guides would include all steps necessary to do a complete, semi-secure install.
Hopefully, it would make it simple for those scared by the propect of understanding permissions and how to use internet technology.

Just food for thought.

The sub-reseller idea has been brought up previously. I think its planned, but for DirectAdmin v2 so could be quite some time.

I think Mark (Phreaky-Mark) has already looked into auto-install scripts and has it mentioned on the source forge project he has for da-tools.

Web builder in my opinion is a big no no, auto-installers are more than enough in my honest opinion.

Chris

The deal with adding all these features is that some of us, who are web hosts, get our clients through unique offerings. When everyone starts offering the same thing, customers will just go with the cheapest person to offer them the product. So, here's my opinion:

1) Auto-install scripts - I am more than willing to write an add-on for this, since I honestly don't think it's hard. However, if I did, I'd charge for it, since I don't want it made available to EVERYONE...if your business wants to offer it as an added service, you should pay for it to keep it as unique as possible.

2) Web editors/pre-set templates - You might consider http://www.webedpro.com/ which is the best product (I think) in this area. Something like this would be very costly, but it's a great value added service if you have a market for it. This is something DA should not handle - it goes far beyond the core requirements of a control panel.

Webedpro

# Operating System: Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP
# Web Browser: Internet Explorer v5.5 or above

Blah!

loopforever said:

2) Web editors/pre-set templates - You might consider http://www.webedpro.com/ which is the best product (I think) in this area. Something like this would be very costly, but it's a great value added service if you have a market for it. This is something DA should not handle - it goes far beyond the core requirements of a control panel.

Maybe DA would then write a module to integrate this web builder with the control panel and do a deal with them for a good price?

The deal with adding all these features is that some of us, who are web hosts, get our clients through unique offerings. When everyone starts offering the same thing, customers will just go with the cheapest person to offer them the product.

Absolutely right - I agree with you 100%

Don't agree with 2/3 ideas...

1] Web editor - A CP should do its job and do it well, be stable and not increase tech support required. DA does that well...let's NOT all becomes Microsoft and bundle everything with the OS. When that happens...you get anti-trust lawsuits.

There are gazillions of free, low-priced and decent priced webbuilder products out there...its practically stale now. Burdening an excellent CP like Directadmin is something that is not required.

2] Sub-Resellers - Probably not. Servers are cheap...any largish Reseller touching $90/mo for his account starts visiting WHT looking for the cheapest Dedi server. Even SM starts with $79/mo now. So, it would be a lot of misdirected effort by DA team for Resellers who grow big and get their own servers anyway.

3] Auto-install scripts - YES. Not a load of frills and shopping carts and what-not...just some core scripts i.e. Counter and Formmail. Can't think of anything else. All scripts add to support time for features not going to be used anyway.

Experience shows that if you give a user 20 scripts, they WILL initially (in their newfound excitement) try all 20, and you will HAVE to help them out or they start complaining about bad/rude support. After all the excitement wears off...only 2 scripts are actually ever used (Formmail and Counter)

Last edited:
loopforever said:
1) Auto-install scripts - I am more than willing to write an add-on for this, since I honestly don't think it's hard. However, if I did, I'd charge for it, since I don't want it made available to EVERYONE...if your business wants to offer it as an added service, you should pay for it to keep it as unique as possible.

I would be interested in this, one of the main issues I have with potential resellers is that they want to offer their clients "fantastico" auto install scripts as alot believe that they have to to be able to compete with other resellers / hosts.

Hello,

I think a simple system where an html snippet is create which will be inserted into a token can be used... then along with the html, a script can be included which DA will run, passing all values from that form to the script through the environment. Doesn't sound too hard. All scripts/configs would be stored in a specified directory and DA will be able to all all users to chose from them... Just have to figure out what things need to be considered. (stuff like creating databases.. how that would be done, possibly hidden values that DA would recognize). Other things like an "uninstall" script.. or if it's even required.

John

netspace said:
2] Sub-Resellers - Probably not. Servers are cheap...any largish Reseller touching $90/mo for his account starts visiting WHT looking for the cheapest Dedi server. Even SM starts with $79/mo now. So, it would be a lot of misdirected effort by DA team for Resellers who grow big and get their own servers anyway.
Yes, this is a bit much, but I thought I'd pop in :)

Back