Question About Backing Up

I think you can backup to a seperate FTP account, if you cant on the current version of DirectAdmin it should be here soon :)

Chris

Right now DirectAdmin backs up files to the server (one drive), and you have the option of transferring these to another system / HD. To answer your question, no, you don't need 2 drives.

Mark

I mean you need a feature like CPanel with the backup so it does the "whole server". This would be great if you can add it in.

I agree wholeheartedly...

Both Plesk PSA and Sun Cobalt RaQs have what they call "migration utilities"; they work great for moving to an upgraded server (most of us have learned the hard way to never do release version upgrades in place on a working server), but also as a complete backup in case your server goes down.

The Sun Cobalt RaQ migration utility stores every domain in it's own tarball, so you can restore one domain, and even only one file if necessary, although you'd have to do the latter manually.

With Plesk you can only restore an entire server (but you can restore it to any box you have around, and get what you need from that).

Neither save the entire server; both save only the sitespace/userspace, but imho that's a GOOD THING as it means 99 times out of a hundred you can use the latest backup without having to worry about reinfecting a newly built system.

Jeff

this point has already been brought up and discussed and if im correct its on the todo list (will leave DAD to confirm that ;) )

Chris

Back