Solaris 10 X86

bami82

Verified User
Hi there, any chance solaris 10 X86 will be supported somewhere this year?

Personally I would find it a great advantage certainly if we where able to run directadmin in solaris zones which would allow us to have a VPS sollution as well.

Because of zones, ZFS, predictive self healing, web based ZFS management, resource capping etc.

For me DA would be much more attractive being able to run on Solaris (X86).
(I currently run DA on FreeBSD)

Hello,

Sorry, no plans for Solaris at this time.
I know that many of our customers use vps's for the DA installs on both linux and FreeBSD already.

John

I was thinking the same thing. Keep in mind that DirectAdmin has a think like the svcadm. I think it could be done if the install script was remade just for solaris and the path's symlinked.

Everything would have to be binary based to be efficient. I am just not sure what the requirements of the core DirectAdmin app.

BTW: ZFS is coming to FreeBSD in the near furture. It also looks like it will be ported to Linux.

Yes, ZFS will come :D

I've seen many threads on the internet for people searching for hosting control panels for solaris.

In the end all providers that have solaris running as main platform for the hosting environment scripted there own little control panel together.

Also keep in mind that Solaris was designed around those Unix Admin's that know what they are doing (loosly said). If you know why to use Solaris, you also probably know why not to have a control panel :)

I do agree it would be neat but just a experience to get it working in that enviroment.

I think you make a small mistake now. The purpose of a hosting control panel is not so you need less knowledge of the OS.

Its to make it more easy, save time, energy and specially make it able for your clients to easilly manage there own hosting account.

ps. did you know you can setup software raid1 on ZFS with just 2 commands

Last edited:
Back