Poll for new default install options: php5/suPhp/dovecot

What php / suPhp setup do you want for the default install?

• Plain Php 4

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • Plain Php 5

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • Php 4 and suPhp

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Php 5 and suPhp

Votes: 32 26.0%
  • Php 4 + ( Php 5 + suPhp )

Votes: 55 44.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DirectAdmin Support

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

I'm currently working on adding support for suPhp and php5 to our build script, but figured it would be a good time to see if these changes should be default for the installer.

The question is, what php setup do you want to have for the default installs: php4, php5, php4+suPhp, php5+suPhp?

Note that suPhp will require 2 full php compiles at install time as DA and plugins require the non-cgi version of php.. (the suPhp binary will be compiled to it's own path)

I would like to move to php 5 anyway, as php 4 is getting old, so any feedback if you might see any issues with scripts that don't work on php 5, or things like that.

Dovecot will likely also be integrated into the default install (compiled) and vm-pop3d/imapd dropped.

John

The advantage of suPhp is that the php processes are run as the user instead of as "apache". This means that the security on the box will be greatly increased. Also, suPhp has a chroot option, so everything on the box can be chrooted finally. But, suPhp requires php to be run in cgi mode, which doesn't have the same perforance as the compiled-in version (without suPhp).

John

How about apache 2.2 by default in new build script? And removing mod_frontpage.

I will be quite upset if you start having an option that is low compatability as default, for instance having php5 and suphp as default you can expect more support tickets complaining of apps not working.

I voted for plain php4 but why not have a choice on install, does it have to be fixed to one version? likewise with mysql there should be a choice on that between 4.1 and 5.x.

An install option wouldn't be too difficult to add. It might be good to have one global type file (like the directadmin.conf) that knows what version of what is on the system, then the build script "knows", so the simple "./build all d" will make exactly what you currently have on your system, a bit more work on my end, but the time savings for everyone would likely be worth it.

John

I voted php5 and suphp as option for some clients needed ;)

Apache 2.2 is welcome aswell, mod_security and mod_evasive would be handy for some as option allthough it's easy to setup.

DirectAdmin Support said:
An install option wouldn't be too difficult to add. It might be good to have one global type file (like the directadmin.conf) that knows what version of what is on the system, then the build script "knows", so the simple "./build all d" will make exactly what you currently have on your system, a bit more work on my end, but the time savings for everyone would likely be worth it.

John

thats great thanks, if you pull that off it would be very good.

I would like the options available but like Chrysalis I do not want to have suphp as default because of script issues.

If you could put it together so that it would have the options that would be great. It would be even better if we could edit one conf file and recompile and have a different setup and even better still if it could be set on a per account (maybe even domain) basis. :)

The discussion doesn't seem to be matching the poll results, but either way, here's where I'm leaning.

1) Setup.sh will ask you a few questions as to what you want:
- apache 1 or 2
- php 4 or 5
- suPhp or not

should be a command line version available as well.. will be backwards compatible, so the current command line setup.sh will install just same stuff (1.3, 4, no suphp)

2) all that data will be saved into a file in the customapache directory. "./build all" will read it and compile the right stuff.. so that you can just do the update, clean, all commands to get updated with whatever you have.

3) you'll get dovecot, no options ;)

So, let me know your thoughts, if we like that or not.

John

keeping php4 is important for customers who still need it.

I vote for suphp (default) that installed php4 and php5. You can have both with suphp.

With the option for mod_php4, mod_php5 if needed.

On our dedicated servers I don't care if they use mod_php but on shared suphp is the way to go.

I like the idea of having suPhp as default, but it was mentioned this might cause script problems.. can anyone elaborate on exactly why this would cause a problem? Some examples, etc..

If it's an install time option anyway, it doesn't matter.. there isn't really a "default" with choice.

John

Also I would to see maybe the peruser apache ( http://directadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12794 ) thing as an beta option ( like dovecot now ) obviously once what you have outlined above is done.

This would allow another method of securing the system further like suPHP does and also allow install/setup code to be in place for when peruser becomes better developed and "stable".

Thanks,
Grant

DirectAdmin Support said:
I like the idea of having suPhp as default, but it was mentioned this might cause script problems.. can anyone elaborate on exactly why this would cause a problem? Some examples, etc..

If it's an install time option anyway, it doesn't matter.. there isn't really a "default" with choice.

John

In reality very few are incompatible. Most comes down to either minor script variable changes OR changing .htacess php_value entries to php.ini entries.

I think the system you outlined above sounds pretty good John. It gives people options and lets you change later if you need to.

Back