Run the domains at another "shared" ip

S2S-Robert

Verified User
I have the main server IP address at *.120. Now this one is a shared ip address, so I can have more users at this ip adress.

However, I want them on *.123, because on the first ip's there are nameservers running and stuff, and I want it ordened for my own sake :D

Now when I assign an ip to a user this ip is exclusively assigned to that user, but that's not what I want. I want to make *.123 a shared ip, so I can add every account on that IP.

I've tried assigning the ip to the user "admin", I've tried removing it from admin, but nothing seems to make it "shared".

Any thoughts?

BTW, the control panel really rocks!

Hello,

Once the ip is assinged to the reseller (yourself in this case), go into the reseller panel, then the "IP Assignement" screen, select the free ip you wish to share, and click Share Selected.

This should make the free IP shared. It will show up as shared when you go to create a new user.

You just have to decide before you create any users on it that it will be shared, because some user features such as ftp require this information beforehand.

John

Yes I figured the shared ip's out thanks!

Now I have another question, my resellers can see my server ip and can assign their users to my server ip. This is the only IP they can assign users to, while I assigned an ip address to him.

He has his own "owned" ip adress, so why can't he assign his user to that ip adress? And how do I revoke the right to add users on my server address?

[edit]
And if this reseller would like to run his own Name Server, how would I go about?

I would assign another ip address to him and let him do it himself? Can you have a shared ip with a nameserver running on it?

Last edited:
Hello,

If he owns the ip, then he can't let anyone else use it because its not shared. Having his assigned ip to be shared is a scenario we have not yet consisdered.. we'll add it to our todo list.

What you could do, is use the new User IP transfer feature (modify user) on the reseller, get him to assign himself to the servers shared ip, set his owned ip (which would now be free) to shared, and then set his ip back to the ip you assigned him. This will let him be on his own ip, while having that ip as shared.

Also, you can't currently remove the server ip from a reseller once its assigned. This is a qwirk which we'll work out for the next release, hopefully. But when this does happen, if a Reseller already has Users on the servers shared ip, you won't be able to remove the IP from the reseller to prevent more Users from being created, because all his current users using that ip would be without an ip. So you can either let him use an IP as much as he wants, or not let him use it at all.

John

Hi

thanks for the support, I'm nearly there now :D

The only thing I need to know is how to revoke the right for the server ip with a newly created reseller. If I want to create a reseller which has no rights to add to my server ip, how will I go about?

I've tried setting the "domain ip" to "shared - server" and to "assigned" but neither one revokes the rights if I'm right.

How do I completely revoke it for use with a newly created reseller?

As I said above, this is a qwirk in the current system where you cannot revoke the server ip after its been assigned. To prevent new resellers from getting it, you change the reseller package such that:
Share Server IP
is unchecked.
This will prevent new reseller accounts from creating users on the server ip.

John

Additional question.

Hi, the problem with the resellers is fixed now! Thanks!

I did however change some sites from *.120 --> *.123 and now the ftp is set up wrongly. If the users try to ftp in, the ftp goes to *.123 and they get :

[18:50:11] Connecting to *.123
[18:50:12] Connected to *.123 Port 21
[18:50:12] 500 Sorry, no server available to handle request on *.123

So it seems there is no FTP running at that ip adress, how do I turn this on?

Any thoughts? I could manually turn it back to *.120, but for every new account I create it's @ *.123 again :)

Yes, it probably a bug in the ip changer. A lot of data has to be moved around, and there are many possible scenarios to take into account. It wouldn't be too hard to miss one of them. By looking into this it can be fixed for everyone, if its a problem.

John

It took Plesk until version 6 (out yesterday, but still pretty much unusable as backup/restore tools not yet available for it) to figure out what we all really want :) .

A pool of IP#s...

From which we can assign any IP# we want as either shared for name-based hosting to the whole box, or to any reseller...

Who can assign any IP# assigned to him/her, as shared for name-based hosting among her/his clients, or to a particular domain for ip-based hosting.

:)

Jeff

woohooo PSA6 is available...... wonder when RS will be having that in (shouldnt mention that here ;) - will still be with DA all the way though :D )

Chris

When Plesk upgraded from 2.5 to 5 (yeah, they skipped 3 and 4), it took a long time for RackShack users to get upgraded. My understanding is that Rack Shack doesn't buy the SUS (Software Upgrade Service) with their Plesk Licenses, so they had to negotiate.

I imagine they still don't (it costs 25% per year) so my guess is it'll be a while this time around as well.

But who knows; they may have learned their lesson :) .

(BTW, I'm a Plesk Gold Partner and I'm very seriously interested in DA!)

Jeff

the latest CP that rackshack have is ensim pro, and they grabbed that very soon after the release, hopefully they will do the same with plesk also. (and DA :D )

Chris

Re: the ftp not working when changing IP's

I've found the bug, it didn't create the virtual host for a shared ip when the user was moved.. it assumed it already existed.

Workaround: create then delete a temporary User on the shared ip. This will force the virutalhost into the config file.

John

http://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=64

There is no limit on how many domains you can create on an IP, however, resellers/users often have limits, and I bet that number has been limited.

John

First of all I'd like to thank you guys for the great support!

It seems like I'm constantly bugging you, but I do think the bug was not completely fixed :

It's the admin account I'm using, so there are no limits. My guess is that if there is no limit to the amount of users there something did go wrong with the move. The only users on that ip are my own users, so I didn't change the users of my customers.

I moved some of the customers to *.123 and now I can no longer choose that ip from the list. I can however choose *.124 (another shared ip).

http://www.safe2surf.nl/123-assigned.jpg
http://www.safe2surf.nl/123-gone.jpg

Back