I recommend this Software for Developers .....

ptesone

I recommend this Software for Developers .....

Hello

I proved the MySQL Turbo Manager 2.5 and it is fantastic and this integrated with development in PHP.

I recommend for evaluation MySQL Turbo Manager 2.5

URL : http://www.mentattech.com

Regards,

Peter

Uhhm, i usually do it a bit different, i login to a ssh session and start
Code:
mysql -u <dbname> -p -h localhost
Or are these just signs of a obsessed console lover ?
But if i can find time, i'll try both of them, i really need a program that can understand what i'm trying to do with some query's, like on tlxpa (a game that i'm running and devving), i've got a few query's that are about 12 lines long, but my brains can't take much more without accually seeing some results first :D

Icheb said:
Uhhm, i usually do it a bit different, i login to a ssh session and start
Code:
mysql -u <dbname> -p -h localhost
Or are these just signs of a obsessed console lover ?

I always do this also, as i have said prevgiously nothing beats the performance of a local connection to mysql... also you dont really need the -h localhost unless your connecting to an external mysql server

mysql -u username -p works fine locally :p

Chris

ProWebUK said:
I always do this also, as i have said prevgiously nothing beats the performance of a local connection to mysql... also you dont really need the -h localhost unless your connecting to an external mysql server

Chris

I know, but for some reason i always type it behind the command, i think thats because of the dev system i have here on my intranet, sql server is another server, not the localhost of that server...

Icheb

Hello,

why not just use phpMyAdmin? It does everything those do from what i seen no since in running a 3rd party program if DA already has it. Also i feel it is very un secure to run anything but phpMyAdmin on DA because DA has phpMyAdmin set to permissions where it can't be access in less your logged in to one of your accounts.

ProHS said:
Hello,

why not just use phpMyAdmin? It does everything those do from what i seen no since in running a 3rd party program if DA already has it. Also i feel it is very un secure to run anything but phpMyAdmin on DA because DA has phpMyAdmin set to permissions where it can't be access in less your logged in to one of your accounts.

phpMyAdmin is as you probably know, a php script, therfore has downsides to it such as it times out during large sql backups etc.

as much as myadmin being very useful its in most cases easier to use shell or software such as this (I personally prefer shell since its easier and its local!) There would really be no difference between phpmyadmin and software such as mysql front and the software shown here......... the user they log in as has the privileges set by mysql (da simply gives options to do this from the panel - although it really has nothing to do with DA) phpmyadmin has no data stored - no database no users etc. its authentication is done directly through mysql (add a user to mysql you can use phpmyadmin without actually setting anything up in phpmyadmin) etc.

Chris

ProWebUK said:

Not necessarily.
This will probably be considered as mysql -u username -p -h`hostname`, which is not the same as username@localhost in terms of access rights.

Webcart said:
Not necessarily.
This will probably be considered as mysql -u username -p -h`hostname`, which is not the same as username@localhost in terms of access rights.

With a default setup you should be able to use:

mysql -u username -p
mysql -u username -p -h localhost
mysql -u username -p -h `hostname`

localhost and hostname should both resolve to the same IP, and therefore they are both effective as each other (since it connects you to the same mysql server) in fact, I can see more of a disadvantage with using hostname - if you have not set it, your going in the wrong direction :)

Chris

ProWebUK said:
With a default setup you should be able to use:

mysql -u username -p
mysql -u username -p -h localhost
mysql -u username -p -h `hostname`

localhost and hostname should both resolve to the same IP, and therefore they are both effective as each other (since it connects you to the same mysql server) in fact, I can see more of a disadvantage with using hostname - if you have not set it, your going in the wrong direction :)

Chris

It might be a big surprise for you, but on some servers an access to mysql is restricted to localhost connections only :)

You are right, that once you are connected "they are both effective as each other", but like I said, username@yourdomain and username@localhost are not the same in terms of access rights.

And, of course, localhost and hostname do not resolve to the same IP: localhost should always resolve to 127.0.0.1 ;)

Webcart said:
It might be a big surprise for you, but on some servers an access to mysql is restricted to localhost connections only :)

No suprise there..... infact, we allow only local connections (port 3306 disabled as default) bot exactly restricting to localhost *only* (you can use anything within the server of course, thats no problem)

Webcart said:

You are right, that once you are connected "they are both effective as each other", but like I said, username@yourdomain and username@localhost are not the same in terms of access rights.

And, of course, localhost and hostname do not resolve to the same IP: localhost should always resolve to 127.0.0.1 ;)

If you are allowing 127.0.0.1 / localhost *only* then yes, however if you re-read my message:

With a default setup you should be able to use..

Based on the thread as a whole (including its original topic) the command I provided should of worked with no problem, if a user goes to the extend of allowing localhost only then they should understand that and have that understanding, however *all* systems I have and work on use only the firewall to stop external connections, internal usage is obviously still enabled - I find that the best method as users often use their domain as the mysql host (which then leads to confusion if its localhost only - its just easier ;))

Also "localhost and hostname should both resolve to the same IP" was intended to be they both resolve locally (ie, you traceroute localhost and traceroute `hostname` they should both be the same.)

I can see what your saying, just didn't click first time :p

Chris

Back