Verified User
1.It's support FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-i386£¿
2.It's support mysql 4.0.26£¿
It is said acquiescence mysql4.1

fabulous said:
1.It's support FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-i386£¿
2.It's support mysql 4.0.26£¿
It is said acquiescence mysql4.1
We went with it. We have it on a Dual Opteron, RAID etc. We started out with FreeBSD 4.9, Centos, then Red Hat, then Fedora Core 3, then FreeBSD 5.1, then FreeBSD 6.0, and have moved to FreeBSD 6.1, which was a GOOD move. If you throw out yesterday, we normally have 7K to 9K on at a time. Yesterday was 11k. Even yesterday it handled it with no problems whatsoever.

It must depend on what you are doing because none of the Linuxes would remain running without services dropping and becoming unresponsive. That's not what we expected nor did the “dyed-in-the-wool” Linux guys. One of them, a large hoster who scoffed at BSD and DA, today is offering both as well as CentOS and cPanel because he had subsequent similar experiences. It wasn't a Ford vs. Chevy or look at the benchmark thing for us. It was a question of "How would you like to stay in business?" Our worst BSD experience was 6.0. It always stayed running, but would get slow at times for no reason, and the load would go through the roof. Once we moved to 6.1, that was completely gone. Our best was 6.1 followed by 4.9.

We're also using MySQL 4.x also along with PHP 5.1.4, Ioncube, ClamAV, eAccellerator, and Nutsmail!/SquirrelMail. I know, NutsMail/SquirrelMail isn't supposed to work with 5.1, but we've been running it now for 6 months with no problems. We have a client that processes a lot of mail per day with multiple accounts that insists on using it instead of POP. Unless you are using triggers and non-indexed database searches, your choice or MySQL 4.x is right on.

You might wonder if DA is the right choice for control panels. We did too. We've been on cPanel(actually still are on one server), and Plesk before DA. DA isn't perfect, and it may not be the best for someone with a lot of hosts. The architecture is odd in my opinion compared to say Plesk, and lot more logical than cPanel. However, from a user perspective, DA is FAR more friendly than cPanel. Plesk is well done, but no AWStats Plug-in that doesn't have to be manually installed every time for every domain. Moreover, safely swapping components to get where you want to go is out of the question for either Plesk or cPanel. Plesk uses QMail rather than Exim, which is a problem. DA runs FAR quicker than cPanel and also quicker than Plesk. Don't worry about Fantastico. It's not as good as other libraries out there available for less money for DA, Plesk, and cPanel. When it comes to AWStats, we tried both plug-ins for DA. The one that worked the best for us is ClayRabbit's.

DA's biggest problem is their license monitoring system. Once it's running it doesn’t give you a problem. It's just re-installs and OS upgrades where it is often a problem. It does put you in a grace period so you have time to sort things out with DA support.

DA's biggest strengths are robust, fast, does everything but MAC & Windows, and user friendly. Don't let the plain skins they show at DA send you running and screaming. You can do a GREAT job skinning it. If you want to see what can be done easily, I can show you. Anybody running a hosting service will tell you that DA is the most solid control panel you can run. We never get support calls.

Our next steps will be ZABBIX load monitoring, and fail-over and load balancing. I'll be trolling for ideas for that.

If you decide to go with DA and BSD, give me a shout, and I'll let you know what we're doing. I carefully chose the pieces to run, but Chrysalis, a DA+BSD guy on the forum, put them in place. He does good work.

Back