Cannot get this SSL installed

johnnstacy

Verified User
I have gone through the entire process. I generated the CSR. Took the CSR to the CA and got the certificate emailed to me. Once I got the certificate I pasted it on the line just below the "End RSA Key" line. I clicked the radio button for "Paste a pre-generated certificate and key". Then clicked save. The next screen shows an error:

Could not execute your request
Certificate is invalid

I tried it several times. Then I created a new CSR and did the process over again at the CA. Got a new certificate and still get the same error. What am I doing wrong?

I have learned a little more about this certificate I bought from godaddy. It also includes a .crt file. It's called sf_issuing and is something about an intermediate certificate. My understanding is that it needs to be installed with the regular certificate. But how do I do that in direct admin? When I double click the .crt file, it comes up with a window with three tabs. General, Details and Certificate Path. I have no idea what I am supposed to do with this. Can anyone offer any help?

Hi John,

The cert from Godaddy is a 2-step or chained cert.

For your first problem... are you replacing the text already in the textarea or are you adding the cert to the bottom of it?

The 2nd is that you need to add the cert of GoDaddy.

Regards,

I am adding the cert to the bottom of it. On the very next line below the RSA Key line. I thought maybe that the other part (.crt) had to be done first or something. When I wrote to my server company, they told me not to install anything having to do with a secure certificate outside of directadmin, but what I have read so far is that the to install the .crt portion of the certificate, you HAVE to go outside of DA. They offer no help as to where the .crt file should be located on the server. This just plain sucks. If I knew it was this much trouble with this type of secure cert, I would have paid the $50-60 for a regular one instead of this $15 special through godaddy. And I have 4 more to do!!!!

Well, I heard back from godaddy. I had replied to the email they sent with the actual certificate on it. They said that the certificate on the email had somehow got altered. They suggested getting it directly from their website. I did that and it installed first try!

Now I just need to figure out what I am supposed to do with this .crt file and is it anything I can do using directadmin? Is it absolutely neccessary?

Hi John,

See if you get a pop-up if you go to the secure site of the domain where you just added the cert for.

If you do then YES you have to do something with the .CRT file (it's text so you can open it and copy the content). Go back to where you entered teh CERT and click on "Click Here to paste a CA Root Certificate" and paste the content of the .CRT file.

Regards,

Back