Can't crate password protected Directories

abode

Verified User
I am getting the following error message when trying to create password protected directories:

An error occured while attempting to protect the directory
Details
Unable to read the protected directories list file

This doesn't happen on all accounts. But does happen on any new accounts that I create now.

I searched through the forum and discovered that this relates to the .protected.list file in the hidden .htpassword directory.

I notice that when I create an account this file is not present in this directory.

I understand that when you first go to create a password directory it should create the file. However this is not happening because you get the above error message. It seems to be looking for the file, but it is not there.

I then manually created a .password.list file and chmod it to 600

Now when I try and password protect a directory I don't get an error message. I get message that it been added but nothing is added to the file and nothing shows up in the list in the control panel. Also the protection is not working on the directory.

Do you have any idea what the problem could be?

Thanks

Wayne

P.S. I am a reseller on Host Elites servers.

Hello,

Make sure that you are checking the checkbox in the top left corner to enable the password protected directory. If you don't, DA will think that you are trying to disable the protection, which doesn't exist yet and will try to remove the protection from the listfile, which also doesn't even exist yet :)

John

Couldn't help but noticing this. I know it's 2 weeks old but still. I've had this problem as well, and it seems that DA doesn't like spaces in the directory name.

Use underscores "_" instead.

Hello,

As stated above, make sure that you check off the checkbox at the top left section of the form.

I can look into allowing spaces into filenames, although *I* consider it bad practice to use spaces in filenames :) (Probably just me)

John

Back