Reseller's nameservers

MagnuM

Verified User
Hello, I was just wondering if there is possible for a reseller to have his own 2 nameservers, but the same IP's as the main nameservers.

For example, my nameservers are:
ns1.ehosting.ro 64.5.40.184
ns2.ehosting.ro 64.5.40.205

I want to know if I can create a reseller wich has the same IP's but his onw nameservers like this:
ns1.tol.ro 64.5.40.184
ns2.tol.ro 64.5.40.205

What I want know is if there is possible to share the IP's for more nameservers, or each nameserver must have a different IP?

Thanks.

Hello,

Just manually setup the A records for ns1 and ns2 in your dns settings and enter the 2 nameserver in your Nameserver section (bottom part) so that new Users get the new NS's. The Nameserver controls (Top part with IPs) is just a quick tool to add NS records and A records to accounts. You can bypass it to do whatever you need.

Also, by checking "virtual" (if you happen to use the nameserver tools (not the above case)), you can create as many ns's as you want on the same IP, they just won't be listed in the nameservers screen.

John

OK, but when I log in with the reseller account (just created) there is only one IP added there, so I can't create the 2 DNS virtual servers. In the admin account I have two IP's, but I don't know how to assign a free IP which is owned by admin to the reseller user.

How can I make the second IP shared, so the reseller can use it to create his own DSN servers?

Hello,

Just manually add the IP to the Reseller's ip list file.

1) In admin's Resellers IP Assignment, make the IP shared.
2) Manually add the IP to /usr/local/directadmin/data/users/resellername/ip.list
3) Log into the Resellers account and you should see the new IP. Add the NS's.

John

Well I just made the free IP shared, but when I try to create the 2 virtual dns servers, I receive: 64.5.40.184 is the server ip and you are not allowed to create a nameserver on it.

But I allready have a nameserver on this IP which is ns1.ehosting.ro.

What is the problem?

Hello,

The server IP is designed to be shared among many people so it doesn't allow you to create nameservers on it. I think that virtual dns's should be allowed on anything, so I can look into changing that, but remember that the Nameserver feature really only adds changes to the dns records, so as long as you create a nameserver manually in your dns records, then the DNS server will exist. Just make sure to change the 2 ns's that will be added to each user by entering them into the 2 fields at the bottom of the "nameserver" page. You can also make changes to the Users's NS's by modifying their account.

John

Back