Redundant Server

MadDancer

Verified User
Let's say that I have a server license for one IP address. And on a second machine on a different IP address, I create an rsync backup of machine #1 where everything is identical and "hot swappable" with the main server.

The second machine would not be in use for anything other than a redundant system of machine #1. The public would never access it unless machine #1 failed. And even then, the IP address of machine #2 would become the IP address of machine #1.

This makes 2 copies on 2 CPU's of Direct Admin - however, only one is ever functional. The second is strictly a hot backup in case of hardware failure on server #1.

Is this in violation of licensing?

I want to be sure that it's all legit before offering it to our customers.

Well, the servers can't be exactly the same unless you run rsync across USB or similar; you can't do networking if all the network files are the same.

Have you contacted DA Sales to ask them about the licensing issue?

Jeff

Hah, yes, you are correct. To clarify, I would be syncing everything except the networking files and the shell scripts needed to do the hot-swap. The shell scripts would do things like shut down the old machine, bring up the new additional networkign settings on the secondary box, and start the needed services on the redundant system.

I'm new to the forums and to DA so I may be wrong in my answer but..

I would think you could use linux-ha & drbd to accomplish what you want and probably fit in the licensing scheme of DA.

You'd need or need a host that would accomodate the following:
2 similar servers in close proximity
2 NICs in each server (preferably GB NiC for the 2nd)
A crossover cable between the two
A serial cable between the two

Back