up2date questions

merimax

Verified User
Hello:

I have RH ES 3 and I have the appropriate packages in my up2date skip list. I have also recently updated the kernel and done the necessary builds in the customapache directory to get the latest versions of apache and php. Now I have a few packages that up2date is skipping and some of them are security updates. The skipped packages are as follows:

Name Version Rel Reason
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ftp 0.17 17.2 Pkg name/pattern
gftp 2.0.14 4 Pkg name/pattern
lftp 2.6.3 6 Pkg name/pattern
php-imap 4.3.2 33.entPkg name/pattern
php-ldap 4.3.2 33.entPkg name/pattern
redhat-config-httpd 1.1.0 4.30.2Pkg name/pattern
tftp 0.39 0.EL3.4Pkg name/pattern

Is there a way to upgrade these packages without messing up DirectAdmin?

So, what's your question?

None of these packages should be updated by RHEL, because you're not using them.

Except perhaps ftp and gftp. If you need to keep them updated by up2date, then you can create more granual "do not update" rules.

Jeff

My question was,

"Is there a way to upgrade these packages without messing up DirectAdmin?"

You pretty much answered my question by saying that I don't need these except for maybe ftp. Will it cause any problems with DirectAdmin if I just remove FTP from the up2date skip list and let up2date update the FTP packages like ftp, gftp, lftp, etc?

Thanks

I don't know what you've got installed on your server so the best answer I can give you is to do:
Code:
# rpm -qa | grep ftp
to see what's installed. Then change your exclusion list so it only excludes what you don't want to update.

For example, you don't want to update your ftpd daemon because RH doesn't use it's own; it uses proftpd, supplied by DA. And if you have the default Red Hat ftp daemon installed (you may), then if you update it, updating it may attempt to make the system use it instead of proftpd, which could cause problems.

Jeff

I have the following:

proftpd-1.2.9-1
ftp-0.17-17
gftp-2.0.14-2
proftpd-standalone-1.2.9-1
lftp-2.6.3-5
tftp-0.39-0.EL3.1

So can I just do an up2date on ftp, gftp, lftp, and tftp without causing a problem to DirectAdmin?

Back