System / Services Info

nobaloney

NoBaloney Internet Svcs - In Memoriam †
When a reseller clicks on "System / Services Info" the logo at the upper right switches from saying "Reseller" to "User".

Is this a bug or a feature :) ?

On a related note; I'm not sure about resellers, but I really don't think users should have access to this information. I'm guessing it could cost a lot of support calls to come up ("why do you have such a small amount of free memory? won't it make my site run slow") even though those of us who know linux know that linux grabs all the memory it can as buffers, and relinquishes it as necessary.

And it might cause some misguided clients to leave because they don't realize that a 300 mhz processor with only ten sites on it will run faster then a 200 ghz processer with a thousand sites.

Jeff

Well if this feature could be turned off, I'd like that too. I did have some customers complaining about the amount of free RAM.

I asked them if they're site was any slower then usual, and the answer was ofcourse "no", but still. It doesn't leave a good idea with the customers.

i suppose its not the best thing for your users to see you using high amounts of RAM, although if you are using most of your RAM and they are sites are running slow, it would help as they could warn you if you did not notice yourself.

Chris

Chris,

Linux almost always shows your server as using most of it's RAM, because after it's been running a while, Linux uses all available RAM for drive access buffers.

The kernel will immediately relinquish the RAM as soon as a program needs it, but still, it's hard enough for us to understand that, no less expecting our clients to understand it.

I've been a linux consultant for many years, and I explain this over and over again to experienced administrators; I'd hate to have to explain it over and over again to all my customers.

Jeff

Actually, I don't think anyone should have access to the information, since most users and most resellers will never understand that 100 static sites running on a 800 mhz Celeron will get served a lot faster than 500 database-driven sites served on a Pentium IV.

I'd like to see it completely unavailable except to the admin.

That's just my .02.

Jeff

The information about my processor isn't even accurate.

I have a dual Opteron 252 which is a dual 2.6mhz processer and all the info shows is this.

AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 852 (2591.24-MHz 686-class CPU)

If its a dual processer it should say dual or (2) as opposed to (1) processer for a single processer.

Should probably say something like;

AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 852 (2 x 2591.24-MHz 686-class CPU)

jlasman said:
Actually, I don't think anyone should have access to the information, since most users and most resellers will never understand that 100 static sites running on a 800 mhz Celeron will get served a lot faster than 500 database-driven sites served on a Pentium IV.

I'd like to see it completely unavailable except to the admin.

That's just my .02.

Jeff

Well, if you disable the ability for the reseller to see system info they still get the option on their screen to select it. :confused: Why? I mean, if you disable the option it should completely dissapear from the menu instead of letting the reseller think he can select it then be told he doesnt have access to that information. This makes no sense to me. Either its selectable and viewable or its not.

Hello,

If you've shut it off for the Reseller, but the Reseller can still see it, then his User Level probably still has it turned on.
Edit the "User" level of his Reseller account to shut it off:

Admin Level -> List Reseller -> resellername -> reseller's User Data -> Modify User reseller -> de-select "System Info"

John

Back