Email - shorter usernames

Maestro

Ok, call me lazy, but I (and my users) am pretty lazy, and because I check my email from a whole series of different computers, I find it inconvenient to have to type in [email protected] every time I want to log in to a webmail account.

Is there a setting or simple workaround to allow me to just set POP3 email logins as "username"(similar to the default user), or is this an artifact of the way DirectAdmin is designed?

Hello,

You can currently use "username" only if it's your system account.. (DA login username). This is called your system email account. All email accounts with [email protected] are called virtual email accounts. So what you could do, is create a forwarder for your virtual email accounts to your system email account, then you'd be able to get into your mail with just your system "username".

You can't use "username" for virtual email accounts because you would need to have one unix system account for each email address.. and for example if you had "[email protected]" and "[email protected]" ... they'd both be fighting for the same system email account, which is why we need to have @domain.com at the end.

John

It really has nothing to do with the way DA is designed, it's how the POP3/SMTP daemons authenticate users. If you host 10 domains on your server, and the all have an e-mail address like this:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
etc...

They obviously aren't all the same person. So what would happen if you tried to log in as "webmaster" ...see the problem?

To make your life easier, you can hack up the webmail code and auto-fill in the Username field with @yourdomain.com (which would be generated based on the root domain the script is being accessed through). This way you just enter your username before your domain name and hit enter :).

First of all, thanks for the prompt replies :)

Second, I also have a hosting account running on plesk, with Horde IMP as the webmail client. When I create an email account under that system, the login remains just the username and password. That's what has lead me to think that it's not in fact something underlying the POP3 daemon, but something else. However, there may be a workaround there that I don't know about, and I don't have subdomain access there, and I imagine that's part of the limitation here.

I'm not code literate really, but what loopforever mentioned is precisely the sort of workaround I was thinking of. I take it nobody has already hacked up something like this and made it available?

Plesk has done an almost complete rewrite of their POP and IMAP clients.

What they're doing is hashing the username and the password together and that's the "real" login name.

To see what I mean, try creating two different domains on the same Plesk server, then [email protected] and [email protected], and try creating both email boxes with the same password; it won't work.

If the usernames are the same the passwords must be different.

Anyway, that's how Plesk does it.

Jeff (who's a Plesk Gold Partner who has switched to DirectAdmin :) )

It's a good idea, but to be quite honest, a rewrite of vm-pop3d and exim would be a complete waste of time. Particularly when they work perfectly well as is :p... Screw the lazy people, they'll have to deal with typing some extra characters. ;)

loopforever said:
It really has nothing to do with the way DA is designed, it's how the POP3/SMTP daemons authenticate users. If you host 10 domains on your server, and the all have an e-mail address like this:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
etc...

They obviously aren't all the same person. So what would happen if you tried to log in as "webmaster" ...see the problem?

To make your life easier, you can hack up the webmail code and auto-fill in the Username field with @yourdomain.com (which would be generated based on the root domain the script is being accessed through). This way you just enter your username before your domain name and hit enter :).

Hi loopforever,

I think this plug-in should do the trick. I know a few people in this forum are using it.

http://www.squirrelmail.org/plugin_view.php?id=47

Regards,
Ben

Back