Dovecot prpblem

Burgl@r

Verified User
Dovecot problem

Hello,

Since a while we experience some strange problems with dovecot.

After a day or so or after a couple of hours, dovecot stops to respond, when i restart the service in DA, it's fast again, but for how long?

Maybe 2 days fast, maybe 1 hour fast, before it stops to function correctly.

i have searched the forum for an answer, but didn't found a solution to this strange behavior from dovecot.

someone experiences the same problem and have find a solution?

thanks in advance

Edit: we use version: 1.0 rc7 of dovecot

Last edited:
Mik3yZ said:
do your error / message logs say anything about dovecot stopping...??

There is no error or message we have found in the logfiles.

In the service in DA al is running, what i do when it stops:

I restart the service in DA and it's going well again.

There were few threads on the Dovecot mailing list that pointed to a problem with polling on certain platforms. It sounded like those on FreeBSD had the most problems when --with-ioloop=kqueue was set. What OS are you running on?

toml said:
There were few threads on the Dovecot mailing list that pointed to a problem with polling on certain platforms. It sounded like those on FreeBSD had the most problems when --with-ioloop=kqueue was set. What OS are you running on?

We use FreeBS 6.1

I would post your problem on the Dovecot mailing lists. I believe they should be able to help. I run on Linux and Solaris, and I have not run into this problem, so I really didn't pay too much attention to what their solution was.

toml said:
I would post your problem on the Dovecot mailing lists. I believe they should be able to help. I run on Linux and Solaris, and I have not run into this problem, so I really didn't pay too much attention to what their solution was.

If you would, than please, we want ths problem to besolved.

We post this problem also on different fora's, so maybe the can also help.

Thanks anyway.

What I meant, was if I were you, I would post a message to the Dovecot mailing list. You can describe your problem better than I, more than likely someone will want to know more information, and you are the only one that can supply that information.

I had the same problem after converting from exim to dovecot on CentOS 4.4 - I had to restart the service a couple of times within the first hour of operation but after that it appears that everything is running smoothely.

We run Dovecot on serveral Freebsd 6.1 boxes without a single issue.

Back