can not mail to un-delegated domain name on same server

synergy

Verified User
I am migrating some exisiting domains to a new DA server but have not redelegated them yet. For this example let's say the DA server is daserver.com. (instead of hostname.com which gets confusing between the server and the domian name.)

When i create a new domain -- mydomain.com -- I can not send email from the DA server to that domain before redelegation. Instead of looking up the correct MX record, DA is catching the email and not delivering it.

I read through a bunch of other posts and did the following:

1) Made sure Admin->Settings shows 'server.daserver.com' in the Server Name box and not just 'daserver.com'.
2) Made sure 'hostname' returns 'server.daserver.com'
3) Telneted to port 25 and exim shows 'server.daserver.com' as well.

However any mail to [email protected] sent from another account on daserver.com keeps getting sucked into [email protected] and rejected instead of being delivered to the existing web server that mydomain.com is still live on.

exim_mainlog shows R=virual_aliases for any of the emails sent to mydomain.com instead of R=lookuphost and the correct IP address as it should.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Mike

Hello,

If the domain is in /etc/virtual/domains, then exim won't do an MX lookup. You can just remove the domain from that file until you're ready to get the email on the DA server. That way, exim will do the MX lookup, and the email will leave the server.

John

Thanks, that worked fine. I guess I thought there was a more automated solution, but this works fine for the few instances that it happens.

Thanks again.

Mike

Back