CGI problems... please share your insight...

nhouse

Verified User
Hello Everyone,

EDIT:More information for you to work on. I just tried another script in our primary domain and it worked. The issue that this originally addressed was contained in a sub-domain. Why would that make a difference?

My company started using DA several weeks ago and love it... we are having an issue with CGI scripts though. Please give us suggestions on how to get them working for us. I will share some facts about the situation to help you guide us:

1. System is Redhat 9 / Apache.
2. DA shows that CGI is "ON"
3. The particular scripts that I am using are "PerlDesk 1.8" and they were working on our old Windows box.
4. The MODS required to run the scripts are installed as per the Perl installed mods DA report.
5. When we try to run the install.cgi script, we get "FATAL PERLDESK INSTALL ERROR If the above error indicates a 'Can't locate X' You may be missing a Perl module on this server, which can be obtained from http://search.cpan.org" This message pops up in a separate text window.
6. We have CHMODed everything properly and rechecked them.
7. We uploaded the scripts ASCII.
We tried running them inside and outside of the "CGI-BIN".
8. We tried running a different CGI script called modcheck.cgi and it didn't work properly either.

Please let me know if these things ring a bell with you... we'd appreciate it a bunch!

Last edited:
I always try this script first just to make sure I am not going crazy and perl is working :D

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl
print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
print "Perl is working\n";

Just cut and paste that into a file called test.pl and you should see when you view it

Perl is working

If that works then I would suggest checking you scripts...if you are moving from Windows to *nix you will need to change the path in the perl files if you haven't already done so. For most systems it is

#!/usr/bin/perl

You can check on your box you typing the following, it will give you all the paths to perl installs:

whereis perl

Hmmmmmmmmmm... now I feel like a complete newbie... and I pretty much am when it comes to Linux. I looked at the old CGI scripts and I think there is a "path" issue. Now, can someone tell me the easiest way to add Perl Modules to Redhat 9. I'd appreciate it a lot. I need to add "MIME::Tools" to my list of installed mods.

Thanks Again!

Back