[email protected] : Login incorrect

netspace

Verified User
This seems to be a proftpd config thing... because the main Ftp user works fine... but when the user creates a new Ftp account, that doesn't login, gives a Login Incorrect.

I suspect it be a Proftpd config thing... because the main users that do work are there in /etc/passwd... but these additional Ftp users [email protected] are not in /etc/passwd So, these seem to be 'virtual' ftp users since they are not in the main system file.

How does Directadmin authenticate for these 'virtual' ftp users. I suspect some config line is missing in the /etc/proftpd.conf file

Anyone...any advise ?

Ok, I found this file containing the ftp users/passwords

/etc/proftpd.passwd

And its got a duplicate set of users (i.e. the users in /etc/passwd are also listed here) So, my understanding is that Proftpd should be reading this file... but is using the default system file instead, and that is the source of the problem.

/etc/proftpd.conf seems to be missing some config line ... that will make it read /etc/proftpd.passwd instead of the default /etc/passwd

netspace said:
Ok, I found this file containing the ftp users/passwords

/etc/proftpd.passwd

And its got a duplicate set of users (i.e. the users in /etc/passwd are also listed here) So, my understanding is that Proftpd should be reading this file... but is using the default system file instead, and that is the source of the problem.

/etc/proftpd.conf seems to be missing some config line ... that will make it read /etc/proftpd.passwd instead of the default /etc/passwd

To include files into your config just add the line:

include "/etc/proftpd.passwd"

or whatever you wish to include :)

Chris

Actually...no, passwd files are not included like that. Proftpd has a specific directive for that 'AuthUserFile'

I was eading the Protpd docs and was going to add that directive...but then I found a file called /etc/proftpd.conf.rpmsave on my server and it turned out to be the actual Directadmin-created file :D It seems this file got backed up during the Proftpd rpm install for some reason.

So, simply moved it to proftpd.conf and everyone's happy again :)

The required directive in this file is...

AuthUserFile /etc/proftpd.passwd

The other required directives are...

DirFakeUser on ftp
DirFakeGroup on ftp

Without the above 2, the 'virtual' ftp users [email protected] don't display file listing correctly.

Oh my god .... Posts: 1067

You've made 1067 posts on the DirectAdmin forum :cool:

Back